Chapter 20

A loud noise wakes the young Lisa up as she slowly stumbles down her bed and cautiously makes her way down the stairs to hear her parents having an argument. They've been having more arguments lately and every time it happens Lisa gets scared. She doesn't want them fighting and wishes that they stop. They do eventually stop as soon as they realize she was standing in a corner.

"Hi, sweetie, come to have breakfast," her mother clears her throat as she suddenly busies herself by laying out the plates and the food. Her father, on the other hand, drinks a glass of water before walking out. He pats her head as he passes her by and then he's gone. Lisa, despite her age, has noticed that recently, his presence in the house is slowly lessening but her mother always says that his work is what's keeping him away these past few days.

Sitting down to eat, Lisa eats her breakfast quietly as she watches her mother go back and forth in the kitchen before finally taking her apron off. She reminds her to finish her food before washing up. Her lips curve up into a quick smile which doesn't feel right before heading upstairs to clean up.

Looking around at the empty room, Lisa gulps down her food but stops halfway through her breakfast. She doesn't feel hungry anymore. Today's supposed to be her day. She's turning 9 after all but it seems that her parents aren't on good terms or in the mood to celebrate.

Fortunately, her birthday wasn't just about to be thrown into a disaster as her grandmother saves the day by her surprise visit. Armed with a load of gifts that Lisa would come to treasure for the rest of her life, her 9th birthday will soon be the best birthday she's ever had throughout her childhood. To Lisa, her grandmother is an angel since her presence caused her parents to get along well, or so it seems.

"Okay, now make a wish!" her grandmother excitedly says while her same-aged best friend, Sorn and Minnie beam at her happily.

Clasping her hands together and closing her eyes tight, Lisa makes her wish. It was a simple one, to be honest. The young Lisa never really asks for expensive gifts or grand events. She only asked for one thing, She wished that her parents will be happy together until infinity. If they become happy then finally things can go back to the way they were and in turn, she'd be happy.

To be happy together forever.

It was a sentence she would soon detest.

A year later, on the same day, she'd realize how wishes don't come true and promises are made to be broken. That forever is just a word and being happy comes with a price. She'd realize all of that soon enough as she quietly cries inside the closet, hugging her knees against her chest, with the earphones her grandmother gave her blasting music, hoping to block the sound of screams and shouts. She shakes as she hears harsh banging and crashing pieces of utensils. Shutting her eyes tightly, her tears streaming non-stop. Desperately, she hums out the song so she wouldn't hear anything outside.

Finally, in between sobs, she whispers quietly in the dark, repeating the words over and over again.

"Together forever doesn't exist,"

It's wrong.

Lisa knows that very well but shuts out that voice in her head as she places her lips against tender skin. She doesn't even know how it happened, it just did. Perhaps it felt like a better option, drowning the thought of radiating smiles, puppy-eyed looks, comforting hugs and feelings she isn't supposed to feel as she lets her hands roam around the body of the blonde female she is currently in a heated session with. Doing something, anything keeps her away from thinking about things she can't seem to place and feelings she's never felt before thus, the situation she is in. It was already the end of her shift and somehow she ended up hurriedly dragging and pushing the female, whose name she can't even recall, against the wall at the back of the bar. With an arm encircling around the female to keep her steady, her other arms graze her hips travelling upwards until she cups her breast, eliciting a pleasured moan from the female. Her lips are now currently attacking the woman's jaw, her tongue slowly gliding against her skin.