Confidence Is The Key

Confidence is the Key

            "I knew you were trouble when you walked in, shame on me now," I sang as I walked towards the entrance to the school. It was the Tuesday after the party on Friday and I was going to meet Evan outside by his car for lunch like I had been doing for the past month.

            "Flew me to places I'd never been..." I stopped singing and tensed up a little when I felt a hand land on my shoulder. Without looking up I knew it was Evan.

            "Hey you, looking pretty today," he said to me looking down at my white top with pink flowers scattered in a pattern, black jeans and black flats.

            I sighed and said, "Would you stop saying things like that, you don't have to tell me things that you thing I want to hear. Anyway, I was just on my way to meet you, you know you didn't have to come inside to get me."

            Evan stopped walking and moved to stand in front of me placing both of his hands on my shoulder. He looked into my eyes and said, "I don't tell you you look pretty because I think that's what you what to hear. I tell you you're pretty because I think you're pretty and I can't help but tell you."

            I looked up into his face to gage if he was just feeding me some bullcrap but the look that I saw in his eyes was genuine. I shook my head not responding to him and it's not like I would know what to say because I wasn't accustomed to random compliments from the opposite sex. Instead I said,

"Come on let's go I'm starving."

"No, you know what, today we're doing something a little different," he said and turned me in the opposite direction of the entrance to the school and started to steer me to an unknown location.

The location became known when we started to draw nearer to the door leading into our school cafeteria. I stopped abruptly and turned to face him.

"I'm not going in there," I said pointing to the door.

"Yes you are, we're having lunch here today," he replied.

"Look you can't make me go in there. I'm going to the library, if you feel like joining me for lunch you know where to meet me," I shot back. How could I possibly go in there with Evan? I couldn't sit with his popular friends. Not only was I positive they would fun of me, I also knew that they would constantly be asking themselves what he was doing with the likes of me. I started to turn around and head towards the library when he turned me back around to face him and said,

"Why are you such a coward? Why can't you look at people and instead of you facial expression saying continue to victimise me you, you where a facial expression that says screw you I don't care what you think."

"Screw you Evan," I said jabbing my hand in his chest, "You don't know what it's like to have people constantly mock and make fun of you. Screw you!" I repeated and jabbed my finger in his chest once again.

"Look," he said with a sigh, "I don't what us to fight. I want to show you that it doesn't matter what other people think of you, it's if you have confidence in yourself. To do that you have to stop hiding in the library, stop hiding away with me when we go out to lunch and go in there face everyone with your head held high."

Even though I was still a little upset, I rationed with myself and even though I didn't want to admit it he was making some sense, "Fine, but not until you apologise for calling me a coward."