How About Some Lunch

How About Some Lunch?

"Oh the pain," Macy groaned leaning against the locker, "My head feels like it's about to explode."

I looked up from taking out my books for my first period. Macy had her head against the locker next to mine with black shades perched on her face.

"What's wrong with you? It's Monday and the party was on Friday. I didn't know you drank that much to have such a powerful hangover," I said to her.

"I don't have a hangover. I got up this morning, saw it was Monday which meant school and I got a powerful headache."

I don't know why Macy dodges school. I know they said high school is hell but it was like when Macy first entered the gates of our school, it shook her hand and said "Hey I'll be your heaven" because popularity, genuine friendship and high social status came naturally to her. She wasn't gorgeous in the conventional meaning of her word but her personality shined from within and she was stunning. Add to that was her size four body that was currently clad in fitting white mini skirt, a tank top that stopped mid off showing off her belly button and three inch heels. Her naturally platinum blonde hair was in a messy bun on top of her head.

Macy complained that while I was shaped like a coca cola since by weight loss, she looked like a ruler. Yes I could admit I had more curves but at least hers weren't covered in fat.

"Come on," I said dragging her away from the locker and towards our AP History class that we both had first period, "You're too annoying for your own good and I don't want to be late for my first period."

She allowed me to drag her for a few more seconds before she pulled her arm away and started walking on her own.

"Talking about Friday's party, you disappeared for about an hour and when you came back your cheeks were all red and you looked like you had just returned from a midnight tryst," Macy said.

I stumbled on the flat ground from her words and I'm sure if she looked at my face now she would see that it was just as bright. Evan and I had continued to talk for almost an hour about I don't know what, all I knew is that he extremely funny and though I was still on my guard from his earlier comment, I had enjoyed his company. I hadn't told Macy all this though.

"Wha...Wha...What," stuttered nervously, "I did not look like that, you're the one that ditched me on the way to the drinks table."

"Le gasp, I did not ditch you. I came back and you were gone," she said with her hand over her heart like I had just physically wound her by implying that she had ditched me.

We reached our history class and took our seat in the middle. Not quite nerds and not quite delinquents. I don't really speak to Macy in my classes, I try to focus solely on my work because I know she could be very distracting when she puts her mind to it. I took my history book out and opened it to chapter thirteen which I remembered Miss Grey, my history teacher, said we would be reading in class today.

A sound at the door caused me to look up and I was shocked to see Evan enter the classroom decked in a black sweat shirt, brown khakis and a black converse on his feet. I don't know if he felt my gaze on him but he looked up suddenly and looked directly at me.

For a second I thought he didn't recognise me or even that he was going to pretend that he didn't know me but after a second his lips turned up into a half smile and gave me a little head nod then turned and walked straight to the back of the class. I don't know why but I felt good.

I turned to notice that Macy was regarding me with a mixture of curiousity and confusion and the smile that was now about to blossom on my face died. I inwardly groaned because I knew what was coming.

"What was that about?" she asked.

"What was what about?" I asked in return trying to act like I had no idea of what she was speaking about. I guess I failed miserably because she asked,

"That staring competition that you and Evan Parker were having and I might I add he smiled at you."

"Macy, take those stupid shades off, their making your vision distorted. Plus I was staring at him because I've never seen him in class before or school for that matter," I responded and it was true that I had no idea that he went to our school.

"First, my shades make me see even better and secondly, I'll accept your explanation for now about your staring, but only for now. The reason that you've never seen him is because you never look at anyone in their eyes because you think their staring at you and also because he's only been here a year. He transferred in our junior year," she explained.

It was true that I never directly looked at anyone. Whenever I looked in their eyes before, I would either see disgust or pity for the fat girl. Even though I had lost a considerate amount of weight, I still couldn't do it. When I think about, I looked Evan in the eyes at the party and I had seen neither emotions.

"Look Ana, you could tell me..." Macy was cut off by our teacher entering the class room. Saved by the teacher, I knew she was about to bring back up the topic again and I wasn't in the mood.

"Good Morning class, you all look fresh and rested this Monday morning," Miss Grey said looking pointedly at Macy and she instantly took of her shades,

"I hope you all are ready to do a lot of reading. Turn to chapter thirteen and read up on Montesquieu's Separation of Powers and Checks and Balances then link it to the American Revolution. You have the whole period where at the end I shall pick it up, if you desire you can work in pairs."

Miss Grey took her seat behind the teacher's desk and I busied myself to do the assignment, thankful I had read the chapter before. I knew Macy wouldn't want to work with me seeing as we both preferred to work alone.

I started my work trying to ignore Macy's glances at me and trying not to turn around and look at the seat that I knew Evan was currently sitting in.

It was lunch and because Macy and I were unfortunate enough to not have lunch period together, I usually ate in the library. The librarian Mrs. Rhine, and I were pret-ty tight and she not only allowed me to eat in the library but bought me low fat lunches every day.

I was hustling down the hall to get to the library when I hit something solid that was strong and firm. I lost my balance and would have tumbled to the floor if two strong hands hadn't stretch out and caught me.

"I went from never having seen you to always seeing you. What, are you stalking me?" I looked up to a smiling Evan. When did he get so tall? He looked like 6'5 and to top it off, I was a short 5'4.

"I...I... wasn't stalking you, I swear," I stuttered.

He laughed again and said, "I was only kidding. Actually I was the one stalking you; I was looking for you actually."

"For me?"

"Yeah, I usually eat off campus and I wanted to know if you would do me the honour of joining me for lunch."

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Hellola,

Three chapters in four days, I'm on a roll and it's all because of the positive feedback I've been receiving; thank you much J

I just want to say that I will edit my story some time in future and I that I do have spelling errors but where I live words such as "honor" and "color" is spelt "honour" and "colour" and "program" is "programme" so if you see those it's not an error on my part J

Peace Out xoxo