If I'm The Babysitter... Can I Kiss The Daddy? Chapter 17

I kissed him softly but he didn’t respond, just stood there. I pulled back, hurt.

“I’ll just go to the spare room, shall I?” I said irritably, jumping up and grabbing the clothes from his hands and turning away. I prepared to stalk out of his bedroom but I felt his hand on my shoulder. I stopped and sighed.

“What do you want?” I asked. There was a long pause and I heard Jack breath out slowly.

“I want you to tell me what happened last night with Max.” His voice was desperate but gathered. I got the impression that he was preparing himself for whatever terrible story I was about to tell him. Ha, fat chance!

“Why should I tell you?” I still didn’t face him; I couldn’t, I wouldn’t. It was easier to talk to him this way without getting distracted or persuaded by his powerful eyes.

“Chloe, my son was kidnapped. I think I have every right to know what happened and how you and Max were involved,” Jack said, sliding his hand down my arm. The trail he left there was like a wildfire, totally distracting me for a few seconds from what I was going to say. I crossed my arms like a stubborn child and his hand dropped off me. I chose my next words carefully.

“Fine! You want to know? I got a call from Max saying he had Henri and he was in Paris. He told me to come and get Henri... or else. He arranged for someone to drive me to the nearest Eurostar which I got and then someone to drive me to the hotel he was in. I got Henri and then called you and now here we are.”I ran through the events quickly, cutting out central chunks of information that would have upset Jack and made him mad. It wasn’t lying to him as such, just not telling him everything. Surely that was okay?

“He gave you Henri? Just like that?” Jack asked dubiously. I could sense that he had moved closer and my heart rate quickened.

“Yes... and there was a fire in the hotel so that distracted him,” I insisted, hoping with all my compassion that Jack would buy it. But hey, this was Sir Jacques Sinclaire we were talking about. And everyone knows that he’s not stupid.

“There’s something you’re not telling me,” he mused.

“There is not!” I almost shouted. My eyes were beginning to water as the events with Max came flooding back to me. The overwhelming grief and fear caused a single tear to stream down my cheek. I cursed mentally and wiped it away. Thank God I wasn’t facing Jack and he couldn’t see me like this.

“I want you to tell me.” Jack’s harmonious voice soothed me as always like a lullaby to a baby. Nevertheless, I shook my head. I couldn’t tell him what happened! I was so upset and for some reason I was embarrassed by Max’s actions. Plus, every time I thought about what happened, my heart tore a little deeper.

Jack sighed and put his arms around my waist from behind. He nestled his head between my neck and shoulder and kissed the sensitive skin there. My heart jumped and so did I. Suddenly, I was thrown onto the bed with as much force to knock the breath out of me but not to hurt me. What the hell? I started to sit up but Jack slid on top of me. Woaaah! His eyes were liquid blue and the mischievous twinkle in them had certainly grown.

He pressed his lips into the hollow of my neck and I moaned involuntarily. He proceeded to kiss and suck my neck as I fought to stay conscious from the instantaneous pleasure. I turned my head slightly so I could inhale the scent from his silky hair. He smelled amazing; a mixture of musk, vanilla and expensive aftershave.

“What really happened, Chloe?” Jack whispered huskily against my skin before kissing it again. My eyes rolled back in my head as I tried to gain control of my mind and mouth.