Turncoat

Dr. Mitchell was known mainly by reputation. He was famed for developing a serum that drastically increased mental agility, creating a new super material for body armor and for several extremely powerful sonic weapons. However, those who knew him better knew that he was really a cruel, sadistic man who only lived to increase his reputation. He was also known by those in the business, to often pounce on projects that appeared to be floundering, only to miraculously pull them to success.

One such project had already experienced great success, and was suspected to revolutionize the war on the symbiotes under his supervision, was Dr. Annabelle Wendell' anti-symbiote project. The project was made to replace another project that sought to create a bacterium that fed in symbiote mass. Mitchell had been eying Wendell's project eagerly and hungrily. This was the project that would cement his reputation as the greatest asset humanity had in its fight against the symbiote invaders.

Currently, he was in the process of making a formula for mass production of his own symbiote soldier. He admired Wendell's delicate craftsmanship of the original four that she created, but they were too complicated for making a small army. They needed simple creatures whose capabilities were good enough to please the council, but were simple enough to mass produce. He had followed the same outline his entire career. Make something quick and easy to produce, and people will jump on it faster than something elegant, but difficult to make. "Why focus on fixing a tank when you can deploy three more just like it?" He spoke.

He had already isolated several sequences he needed and was working on the final one. He was certainly grateful to Wendell for doing much of the work for him. It would have taken him much longer without her existing formulae and research. Perhaps he should mention her when he was accepting an award for this project. Remind her that he was using her success to bolster his own reputation. He cracked his neck and smiled as he cracked the last sequence. He immediately sent the formula to the synthesis machine. It began working immediately, and soon his creation was complete. This one had simple tendril abilities and basic camouflage. It was a green so dark, it was nearly black.

"Inform the council that I have created a symbiote for a main fighting force."

The lab technician left immediately. Mitchell smirked as he started working on the next one. This one needed range capabilities. That only needed a few changes to the current sequence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wendell was seated at her desk, working on the next stage of her contingency plan. She was developing a special armor set that was very thin and flexible. It wasn't nearly as tough as Gorgon armor, but it could take bullets well enough. She had finished the chest plate as well as the left arm. She was working on the right arm when Evans called her to his lab again. She groaned exasperatedly as she started making her way down there. What could he possibly want this time?

She pushed open the door to his lab and made her way over to Evans, who was looking at his computer screen.

"What do you need?"

Evans turned around and looked at her.

"I've been in touch with a friend of mine at Site Epsilon. They develop vehicles and war machines, as well as large weaponry in general. He told me that a group of five Wyvern class battle mechs were deployed yesterday. I give you three guesses where they're heading."

Wendell resisted the urge to curse.

"Theta."

"Bingo. According to my friend, they were sent with orders to destroy it. They weren't told why they were destroying it, just that the council wanted it gone."