28 (rewritten)

Couples and singles alike cross the schoolyard with slumped shoulders and heavy heads. It's Wednesday, the most irritating day of the week, and I'm pretty sure every class had a test.

Adrian is leaning against the tree in black dress pants and a blazer that's got a funny crest on the right side. He wears it with a starched white shirt and not one honey blond hair is out of place.

"Hey! Wanna go grocery shopping?" He says it with so much enthusiasm he gains the attention of everyone in the ten yard radius.

I smile in answer and he draws me closer by the elbows. "Hi."

His mouth gets to that deliciously loose place between smiles and I pop up on my toes and press mine against it. He smiles.

"Hi." He murmurs, winding his arms around my waist. "How was the Physics test?"

"Awful. I suck at Physics." I say, pulling away so we can start walking. He drapes a long, lean arm around my shoulders and pulls me close to his side.

"That sucks, I could tutor you next time, you know. I like physics." I shrug. I hadn't wanted to bother him but he seems sincere.

Of course he's sincere, he's always sincere.

"So, what's with the clothes?" I ask, plucking at the blazer. He feigns surprise.

"You mean I don't dress like this every day? Mother will have a coronary." I just wait. "Well, for this careers class we had to do interviews with university dudes. Like professors at, uh, Yale... Brown... Some Canadian ones... McGill... oh, and Dalhousie. Plus a few others."

"Really?"

"Uh-huh. Sucked."

We stroll into the smaller grocery store that's close to the park where I first saw Adrian. "So, what do you need?"

"Um, apples, tortillas, cucumbers..." He absently lists peculiar items as we traipse the fresh aisle. I stand under his arm carrying the bright red basket. "Cranberry juice, pastrami, soya sauce."

"Interesting wrap you're making." I tell him, wryly. He drops a kiss on my forehead.