25

This chapter is dedicated to Maya ( @BoucherGirl ) because she is and will always be my absolute best friend and cousin :) and I miss reading books (like i mean one book between us, on my grandmother's couch for hours) with her all summer.
***

A duet of violinists stand in the middle of the park sawing away at their instruments and expelling gorgeous, twisting melodies.

The tall red-head wearing Doc Martens always starts the song, and the wiry dark haired guy always follows, changing and altering her melody into something gorgeous and new.

Their audience is in awe.

Aide munches on barbecue Ringlos beside me, tipping his head from side to side as the music swoops and falls around us. He wears a loose black tank top that makes his eyes look even lighter and warmer than usual.

We don't speak, but stand close enough that I can feel his warmth all the way up my arm. I lean a little bit closer so I'm pressed to his side, and he peeks down at me.

I smile at him, softly, and he smiles back. He rolls his arm up and back, letting it fall lightly around my shoulder. Now the hand holding the chip bag is right in front of me and my shoulder is pressed to his ribcage, and I take a handful.

They aren't as delicious as they were when I used to put them on my fingers and run around with them, giggling. I chew, feeling the rise and fall of his breaths.

The couple finish their piece with a jagged, harmonic fall, followed by a soft, final strand. The small audience explodes with applause and the violinists glow with pride.

The guy pulls the girl in for a kiss, and someone hoots. Adrian's laughing. He tosses a twenty in the case at our feet as the crowd disperses.

"So, you like grand gestures?" He asks, continuing our previous conversation; before we found the violinists and were stunned into silence.

"I suppose. They're romantic." I smile in a lip-biting way. "What about you?"

"I think I'd appreciate any gesture from you." He says in a honest way that doesn't make me think of the usual innuendos.

I smile. He smiles. We continue down the bench lined path in the shade of ancient oak trees.

"It's so gorgeous out here," he remarks, craning his head back to stare up at the leaves that blot out the sky. They are orange with just a touch of autumn, still vibrant.

"I know," I murmur, distracted by the man on the bench ahead.

He crouches beside the bench, stroking the dog who sits there. On the bench. It's like they've switched places.

Suddenly my arm is cold with the absence of Adrian and I turn.

Adrian... is kneeling. Behind me, with something hidden in his fist.

People are starting to stare.

"Aide..." I start, staring down at him in alarm. He grins because he surprised me.

Ahem, grand gesture. Point for Adrian.

"Grace McCauley. Will you... go on a date with me next Saturday?" I stare at the fist extended towards me with a half a mind to bump it with mine. He indicates it, and I take it in my hand.

Acting on impulse, I uncurl his fingers to find a single Ringlo there. I look up at him with a confused face, and his grin goes supernova.

"Will you?"

"Uh... I mean, of course. Yes." I sputter. He chuckles, and the handful of people watching chuckle as well.

He takes my left hand - oh my - and slips the circular chip around my finger. I stare at it. He kisses the back of my hand and rises smoothly to his feet.

He turns to the crowd: "She said yes!"

I throw myself into his chest in a monstrous hug; so close that I feel rather than hear his answering, delighted laugh.

"You may now eat the Ringlo." He whispers, and I smack his arm lightly and affectionately.

Love.