chapter 25

She constantly looked into his eyes. She wanted to avert herself but what was there? She couldn’t understand. They both stare into each other’s eyes for a while when suddenly Steven’s phone rang. He took the call and moved away from where Stella was standing. After the call ended he came towards her. “I want to talk something important with you” he said cautiously. “come inside” she said like she didn’t have any other option. She opened the door and they both stepped in. Steven sat on the sofa while Stella offered him coffee. She went to the kitchen to make it. As she made coffee, she constantly tried to figure out why he was here? What was so important? After all the shame she has received throughout the day, she couldn’t even face her neighbors or friends. As she added the cream, she realized a presence behind her. “may I help?” he said. “no it’s all done” she replied. She put the mugs into the trays and headed to lounge. She placed the tray on the table and sat beside. Following her Steven sat in front of her. They both took the mugs. As he sipped, he continued. “what lately happened has affected our image. And all day I was trying to figure out a solution. So I talked to my lawyer. And she has proposed a solution which you might not like or maybe not even agree but it’s the only solution to save our dignity. And soon I will found out the culprit who is responsible for it and I will not spare him or her” he stopped for a moment to look at her. “and what’s the solution?” she asked curiously. “we have to sign a marriage contract and pretend that we’re married to avoid all the unnecessary questions and make people believe that whatever happened is only misjudged” he said while taking deep breaths. She was shocked to the core at his words. She couldn’t believe her ears that he’s asking to marry her. Even he knows that she cannot do it. “I’m sorry I cant” she replied without any hesitation. “why?” he asked in despair and confusion. “because my religion don’t allow me to marry a non-Muslim” she replied firmly. “its just a contract we can divorce after that, I’m only asking you for the sake of our reputation” he tried to convince her. “my answer will be no even if you try to convince me hundred times. If you want to marry me then you must have to change your religion before I sign that contract.” She said each word clearly. “what? Are you serious? How can I do that?” He asked, completely surprised by her demand. “if you want me to sign the marriage contract then do it, and in return I will not ask for any compensation on divorce” she surprised him even more. “Are you sure you don’t want any compensation on divorce?” he asked, but soon realized his answer after looking at her firm face look. “okay let me think about it, I’ll convert it tonight and then you’ll sign that marriage contract, deal?” he asked, like he was finalizing a business deal. “okay” she simply replied while getting astonished at his behavior. ‘its just a religion, no big deal. This reputation is more important' he thought to himself. “okay then let’s go” he stood up.
“where?” she asked. “don’t you want to witness that if I really convert it or not?” he questioned back. She simply took her coat to cover herself as it was a freezing night. Then she settled her hijab and they both stepped out. It was a silent journey. They both went to masjid and in presence of witnesses he converted to Islam. He took his shahadah and placed it in his car’s drawer. Not appreciating his action she immediately said, “its an important document. Why are you placing it in a car drawer?” she said in angry voice. “relax! I’ll put it in my cupboard once I’ll reach home. Now I’m calling my lawyer, let’s sign the marriage contract.” He averted the subject. Then he made a call. And after that they both went to lawyer’s office.
It was 11 in the evening. They both reached the lawyer’s office. It was a female lawyer, in her early 30s. She greeted Steven and Stella. She was friend of Steven and they both were quite frank. Stella still couldn’t believe that she was about to marry. It was happening so quickly that she didn’t even have the time to think. ‘am I doing right’ she kept asking herself this question. But only answer she found was ‘for the sake of your dignity’. Papers were already ready. They both sat down. Lawyer first forwarded the file to Steven. Without giving another glance he immediately signed them. He knew that the papers are made according to his predilection. Then he forwarded them to Stella. Stella tried to read them but couldn’t. The words seemed blurry with tears filled in her eyes. She couldn’t believe it was happening, in such way. With the person whom she disliked the most. She took the pen but her hands shivered. She tried to focus on grip but couldn’t help shivering. Finally Steven put his hand on her back and comforted her a little. She felt a bit relaxed and signed the paper arduously. “congratulations! Now you both are a couple!” the lawyer greeted them cheerfully. But Stella couldn’t force a smile. While Steven smiled and thanked her. Then he took Stella’s hand and let her out. Stella was astonished at his sudden action. As they both got out he stopped in his tracks, facing her. “I’m happy that you finally agreed. Thank you” he said in while looking in her eyes, each word slowly like he was telling himself too. And the next second he hugged her. Her breath hitched at the sudden touch. Her body became stiff. She was set on fire, suddenly she started to feel hot. But that hug felt the most sincere hug ever to Stella. “now we’re finally married as……..