chapter 23

Thoughts occupied her mind, but still she successfully escaped and got busy in her work, reminding herself that it’s not her business. Whole day ended successfully without interaction with Steven Joseph. She got home and went to spa, to make herself ready for tomorrow. Meanwhile there were lot of celebrations at Fatima’s home. In evening she went to her home, and got her henna done, and everyone danced and chattered. Night went by with a blink and Stella did not get much sleep.
She didn’t realized that she slept at Fatima’s home. In morning, she woke up early and returned to her home. She took a long warm bath and slept peacefully for the remaining hours. At 11 she woke up, ate her breakfast and got herself ready for the day. She wore a long navy blue maxi, with a short v cut at the back. It was made of net. With no extra effort, it looked elegant and decent. Stella wore a pinkish nude lipstick with it and completed the look with matching hijab. As she was glancing herself in the mirror, her phone rang. She received the call and it was Fatima. She told her that she is waiting outside. She hurriedly wore her heels, picked her phone and gift and stepped out.
The hall was decorated with white flowers, better to say everything was white. People were chattering, laughing,  holding glasses, everyone was happy. Almost everyone arrived. Groom was standing on the stage with his friends, while bride was not yet here. Stella stepped inside with Fatima, and was mesmerized with the moment. For a while her heart ached to see Mustafa standing on the stage, talking happily, dressed as a gentleman to be married. She wished that it could be her wedding. But it was too late for the wish to be granted…….
She sat close to Fatima near stage, when the bride arrived with her parents. She was a pretty grown up girl dressed in white gown. Stella admired her a lot, maybe she was more deserving than her. Her eyes were glittering as she walked with her parents alongside, towards the stage. Mustafa held her hand and helped to step on. Her face was covered with a white net veil. The priest arrived and the nikah began. They both accepted each other happily and everyone clapped. Then they both hugged each other. Music was turned on, and everyone started to dance happily. Stella remained seated. Lights were dimmed, she took a glass and drank while looking at the cheering people. There was a person behind those people who was looking at her. She couldn’t help noticing him. Her instincts were telling her that he’s the same person. But she couldn’t avert her attention. Before she could think anything, the person stood up from his place and walked towards her. She realized that he already noticed her, giving attention to him. She averted her eyes and looked at the crowd, ignoring him. He came forward and stood in front of her. “if I’m not wrong, it’s you miss Stella?” he spoke first. She looked at him. He was dressed in a royal blue tuxedo, looking extremely handsome. She couldn’t help getting attracted to him. He was moved with her continuous glaring. “Stella?” he called her again. She felt ashamed for continuously staring him. “yes Mr. Steven” she spoke in a light voice. “may I ask how are you here?” He sat beside her. “well I’m from groom’s side, they are my neighbors and friends.” She said while playing with her fingers. “oh I see” he said while picking up the drink from table. “and you Mr. Steven?” she dared to ask. “well Mustafa used to work in my company before and we became good friends” said Steven while sipping the liquor. She was not comfortable with his presence, she was trying not to look at him but his dominant presence somehow attracted her. While Steven couldn’t help noticing her unusual behavior. There was nothing to talk about anymore, so silence became awkward. He could still remember the incident when she asked for leave.
Stella noticed his bruised hand, but she couldn’t dare to ask him. Instead she kept staring at it and tried to think that how can he get injured badly. “oh you want to know about it?” he asked in monotone.
She hummed. “well the day you came into my office and called me disgusting, I couldn’t gulp it so instead I punched my hand into the wall.” He explained sarcastically, he smirked. Stella didn’t know, what to exactly feel. She was not guilty of her doing either but she couldn’t process it that her words affected him so much. “well I didn’t wanted this, but Mr. Steven it’s better that we should not invade each other’s space, and stay away from each other. I’m a Muslim now, so don’t ever try to touch me without my consent.” She spoke professionally. “oh wow! Miss Stella what a remarkable statement. But I really want to talk about the business we had in past, can you spare me time to talk about it someday?” he smirked. “let me be clear Mr. Steven, the past we had was a mistake, we both didn’t intended to. And what happened cannot be undone, so it’s better to not talk about it ever. And moving forward I’m not the same person like before so please respect my boundaries.” She said without looking at him.