Chapter Four: Tutoring

Dawn was so dead.

Seeing as she skipped several hours of learning, she probably wouldn't have time to catch up. And it was Thursday. Friday was exam week. Thursday, to the students, was usually spent reviewing what had been learnt in the week. Now, thanks to the set-back song, Dawn had to catch up on TWO days of learning.

'Oh school, have pity on thee,' she muttered, blowing a strand of oily, blue hair from her baggy eyes.

'Still after second period, and you're ranting off about poetic nonsense!' Paul finally snapped. It was bad enough being her tutor and lending her his notes, but putting up with her half-asleep words?! That went way too far in Paul's opinion.

'Sorry, I didn't sleep well last night,' Dawn apologised meekly, resting her head on her hands.

She watched the teacher lecture about something that seemed extremely boring...

'Wake up,' something prodded her in the ribs.

With a groan, Dawn sleepily blinked and yawned, feeling suddenly refreshed.

'Ah, did I fall asleep?' She asked, making a mental note to ask Paul for his notes later on.

'What do you think, Troublesome,' Paul said sarcastically. The nickname had become something of a pet-name, but Dawn refused to have her name being called something as stupid as that.

'Do I really need to tell you my name again?' she glared at the teen.

He rolled his eyes, 'I think I've got the message. C'mon, we've got Free Period. You can make up for your loss of study time in the cafeteria or something.'

'Whatever. Let's just get this over and done with,' Dawn sighed, picking up her books and heading out the door to the cafeteria.

Few students were in the place at the time, a few outcasts and stragglers left behind. Of course, Paul didn't really care. Dawn, however, looked around with confusion.

'Ah, these people do not have friends?' she enquired, coming to a conclusion.

'I guess so,' Paul shrugged. He couldn't care less about 'other people', just the ones in his small group of friends.

'Ai, it must be sad to have no friends,' Dawn commented, staring at a girl with red hair, darker than Misty's, sipping a can of soda.

Suddenly, Paul stopped, making Dawn bump into him.

'What makes you say that?' he asked quietly as Dawn took a step back.

'You will be lonely, and sad. Well maybe not sad, but the outcome I suspect, is having a depressed aura,' Dawn commented.

The purple-haired teen was suddenly jolted back to a memory, another time, another place-

'Emo freak.'

'Outcast.'

'Loser.'

'Paul!' Dawn was close to slapping him, when he regained his composure.

'Yeah?'

'You kinda fazed out,' Dawn explained. 'What happened?'

The voices came back. He swatted at them mentally like flies, 'Nothing. Now hurry up. We're wasting study time.'

He gruffly made his way to an empty table and plonked his bag and books on it. Dawn did the same, only in a more graceful fashion.

'Let's start with Maths first,' Paul suggested as Dawn dug in her bag for her Maths homework.