Chapter Eight: Shopping

Sunday meant 'Girl's Day-Out' in Dawn's opinion.

Strutting out in a pink petticoat and her signature clunky boots, she announced to the world, 'Sunday's here! What shall we do today?'

Taking a gulp of an already-open milk cartoon, May looked her with baggy eyes. She, herself, had gotten zero sleep that night. Sometimes it surprised her how much energy Dawn could express during the morning.

'Whatcha doing up so early?' May slurred, slamming the fridge door closed and scratching her messy, bed-hair.

'I thought, since it's Sunday, we could have a little 'Girl's Day-Out',' Dawn explained cheerfully.

'Just why would we want to do that?' The brunette raised an eyebrow.

'Because, May,' Dawn began patiently. 'We've spent the whole week studying and doing homework and practising the songs. Today, why don't we have a little 'girl-time'? Just me, you, Misty and Leaf. No boys, no stress. Just us. What do you say?'

May considered it for a moment, 'I guess there's no harm in loosening up today. I'm in.'

'Yay!' Dawn cheered. Then her face took on a sour look. 'Now for Leaf and Misty.'

She stormed off to their dorm while May chuckled. The blue-haired girl was stubborn, and she'd do anything to get her way. It was one of the many things that made Dawn charming.

'I on the other hand, am dull and flat and absolutely boring,' May sighed, reaching in the pantry for a cookie. Mornings always gave May the munchies.

The blue-haired girl came back, dragging a groggy-looking Misty and Leaf.

'May, what does she want from us?' Moaned Leaf, rubbing her red eyes.

'Yeah, May? Does it have anything to do with shopping?' The pair looked at each other with worry. Whenever Dawn shopped, it would end in sore, blistered feet, an aching back and a few hundred dollars out of their credit cards.

'Duh,' May looked at her friends as if they were crazy. Because it was so early in the morning, she couldn't care less about what Dawn would do.

'I already have the whole day planned out!' Squealed Dawn excitedly. 'First, we'll go to Victoria's Secret, then we'll go to Colette, then we'll go to Kikki.K, then-'

'How about we stick to a few stores, then go to the fair?' May suggested, noting the tired expressions on Misty and Leaf's faces.

Dawn nodded happily. At least it was better than not going out at all. 'Great! Should we take a cab?'

'Actually...' Leaf said slowly. 'I think I need the experience of driving. You guys had driven before in one point of your life. It's my turn now.'

'Okay!' Dawn exclaimed bubbly, but her smile was weak. Even she somehow knew Leaf plus driving wasn't going to end very well.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

'Leaf, stick to the left lane!' Misty yelled.

Their suspicions were confirmed. Leaf was a horrible driver.

'I'm trying!' The girl shouted back, dodging an incoming truck. She shook her fist at the driver, 'Watch it!'

'RED LIGHT! RED LIGHT!' Dawn shrieked.

Leaf hit the brakes and a screeching noise was heard. All of them sighed in relief.

'Oh God, is that smoke?' May questioned, staring out the window. Thick, black puffs of steam seemed to be emerging from the vehicle.