CHAPTERFIVE

chapter five
ANTISOCIAL
BUTTERFLY

I clutched the flower that Rashta hurriedly gave me, the stem biting into my palms

I clutched the flower that Rashta hurriedly gave me, the stem biting into my palms. A single daffodil.

"Rashta was going to make a pretty bouquet, but it's too boring. You can have it!"

As pretty as they were, daffodils had a negative meaning when given by themselves. They symbolised happiness when in a bunch, but meant misfortune when they were gifted singularly.

"Princess Y/n?"

I turned to face the voice behind me.

"Oh..good morning."

The emperor's eyes travelled to my hands, onto the flower. I quickly hid it behind my back. "Is there something wrong, Your Majesty?"

"No, your flower just caught my eye."

"I didn't pick it, for your information." I didn't want to seem like a garden thief or in this situation, whatever you would call someone who stole flowers.

I believe there is no term for that, as nobody would dare to steal anything from the Imperial Palace.

"Oh, do not panic. It is alright as long as you pick it from over there." His finger pointed at a specific area of green, a low, white gate running all around it. "That's where all the plants available for picking reside."

"Ah, I see." I slowly brought my hands back in front of me, revealing the plant and its fresh, full of colour petals. It had yet to realise that it was taken away from its home and turn dry and dull.

"Did anything interesting happen?"

Before I rambled on about the fairy-like girl who introduced herself and gave me flowers to the emperor of the Eastern Kingdom, a metallic voice stopped me.

"Are you perhaps boring our guest, Your Majesty?" The empress took her steps carefully as she approached us. Locks of buttery blonde hair framed her stoic face and her eyes had a cold glow to them.

"Not at all, Empress." The emperor folded his arms. To be truthful, he did seem to run out of things to say.

She sighed, facing me this time. "Good morning, Princess. I hope you slept well."

"I did. Thank you." I felt my voice slightly sway, sensing her firm presence.

"Well, It's nice to finally be able to talk. I never knew that they had a princess in the west."