CHAPTERFOUR

chapter four
AN UNFORTUNATE
MEMORY

chapter fourAN UNFORTUNATE MEMORY

Marianne was always kind. Well, 'always' is an exaggeration. Most of the time. She is the only light that glows brightly in my memories.

She taught me everything from letters to survival skills. I don't think I would have turned out alright if she wasn't there. Her once soft, silky hair and affectionate twinkling eyes are still engraved deep in my mind, despite how many years it has been.

She was always kind hearted and open to my curiosity, even if it got a bit sickening.
Was she only nice because it was her duty or did she truly mean it?

She always made me feel safe. I was safe as it was a tall tower secured with magic, but the way she made me feel comfort and happiness was different.

I always thought of her as family. I used to think she was my mother up until I grew old enough to understand she was just a nanny.

Did she think of me as family? How is she right now? Will I...ever know?

Will I?

I don't think so.

Because on one unfortunate evening, as the clock struck midnight, I realised Marianne had ran away.

══ஓ๑ ✦ ๑ஓ══

"Oh my lady, please wake up!"

My eyes slowly opened, my head heavy and pounding. I heard Celenne let out a relieved breath.

"Your Highness! You're awake!" Celenne found comfort in her handkerchief.

"Is the princess alright?" I heard an extra voice near the entrance of the room. Dark hair, dark eyes. "Please summon the palace physician right away if you need to. The Eastern Empire's guests should be healthy and well in our care."

"Of course. Thank you for worrying, Your Majesty." Heinrey answered in my place.

"It's nothing severe, just a loss of balance. Although she needs plenty of rest and water." The physician stated, standing beside my bed.

"I see, I will take better care of her in the future." Heinrey smiled and led the physician and His Majesty out.

"Princess, are you feeling alright?" Celenne turned to me, her brows furrowed in concern.

I sat up in my bed, taking a few seconds to recover. "I'm okay, my head's just aching."

"Would you like some water?"

"Yes please."

As I finished my glass of water, Heinrey came back in. This time, by himself. "Go and fetch something from the kitchen. I would like to have a conversation with the princess." He gestured at Celenne.