CHAPTERTWO

chapter two
STRANGE ENCOUNTERS

the duke swirled the wine in his cup around slowly, making sure it did not spill

the duke swirled the wine in his cup around slowly, making sure it did not spill. "so..."

"so?" heinrey asked before taking a slice of meat into his mouth.

"how is his majesty?"

"well, he's doing better."

"good to hear."

"mmhm. how's your engagement going?"

"oh, it's going fine!" duke ergi chuckled. "we agreed to break it off if we found better people, though. i suppose the contract benefits both of us."

"a contract engagement.." heinrey looked at his friend disapprovingly. "hm, shall we move onto dessert now?"

"dessert would be nice." duke ergi smiled and turned to you. "wouldn't it, your highness?"

"sorry." your eyes wandered around, avoiding their gaze. "i think i'm going to leave..i don't feel very well."

"aah..alright." his smile widened. "i do hope you have a good rest of the evening."

"yeaa– yes, thanks." you corrected yourself and hurriedly jogged out of the dining hall.

"no, you mustn't get up before the guests, your highness!" you heard your etiquette teacher, madame vive's voice play in your head. sometimes, she appeared in your dreams, shrieking about the same few things over and over again.

you edged along the hallways. your mind felt crowded. if only you could speak with no formalities. it had only been a day or two since you started practicing them, but it was already a pain trying to remember all.

you finally reached one of the outside doors. the sky was navy but the night seemed so young. the breeze circling the area was warm against your cheek. it smelled of lavender and a refreshing scent of roses.

the garden was a beautiful distraction. if the man who carried the greatest of burdens was to enter through that very gate, he could come out as if the feeling of worry did not exist. it was a wonderful place. it left you speechless.

you loved sitting and dreaming about things that would never come true. this habit grew on you as you were mostly alone in the tower, your only entertainment being books.

you spent some time admiring your surroundings in the dark, not noticing the passing time. you were about to head back up to your room when you heard light footsteps behind you.

"it's easy to forget how quick the time passes when staring at something beautiful, isn't it?" a suspicious pair of green eyes stared at you, waiting for a response.

you sighed and got back up on your legs as you tried to improvise something to say.

"i think the sigh was a bit loud for my liking." he tilted his head and smiled.