Chapter 17: The Unity - Mark

Mark Roth Journal

January 2, 1985

When Joe came to work today, I had some answers for him. He believed me when I told him the story that Gary's brother worked for Bill Wagner, and that he was the one who got into Deidre's room that night. I explained Gary was looking for files, and that he wanted to sleep with Deidre before leaving the office for good. I said that he knew this was it, Gary would be done here at Roth Corp forever, so this was his last chance to have her. I also stated that Gary admitted Bill wanted to get some dirt on us and the tape was made to cover his tracks. Joe believed me and in time, he will calm down.

January 5, 1985

I've about had it with everyone around me. Nothing is working out as I've planned, and the people closest to me are making my life unbearable. Joe has had his explanation for a few days now, yet he seems even more annoyed with me. For now, I'll just leave him alone because I got what we needed from him.

Then Donaldson called and wanted me to come to the lab when I had the chance. Right then, I should have known the shit was about to hit the fan. Deidre's bloodwork came back and her numbers are decreasing. Her DNA is changing, and Donaldson believes it's the baby healing her body.

Talking to Donaldson, I asked, "What do you mean? What are we going to do?"

He answered, "I told you this could happen and I'll take her to my island to figure this all out."

Shit, this is not good and we have just destroyed the golden goose, I thought to myself.

Evans adds, "Mark, she is 4 weeks along, which was the plan and my team made enough serum to keep us going for now. It will work. You need to trust me and be patient."

Listening to them, I was so angry and ready to hit something or someone. This was a major mistake and now we're screwed, I told myself while trying to think of a way to fix this mess.

"The child is drawing nourishment from Deidre, and that's why her counts are so low. Plus, we still have Cora to fill in if this doesn't turn around." Evans states.

Great, just fucking great, I ranted in my mind.

Donaldson added glibly, "This is why I was worried about getting her pregnant too soon."

Calling Evans to give him the update, he was quiet.

"Cora's numbers are much lower than Deidre's and if we have to rely on the clone, solely, then we might as well close up shop. This is terrible, it's a catastrophe and you two need to fix this now. I need some excellent results quickly. Can we check the child to see if Donaldson is right?" I asked Evans, hoping for some idea as to how screwed we will be in the very near future.

He replied, "No, we can't check the baby, it's barely a viable fetus yet. Mark, give me a month to prove I'm right. Just thirty days and I'll have some answers. I promise it will be good news."

I was so mad that I couldn't see straight.

At first, he was worried, but then Donaldson swore we would be okay, and Evans agreed. But they were both wrong in the end.

I stated, "Fine, continue with the plan and we will let Donaldson move her to the island for now. Your people better monitor her and not let her loose, as they did with Ed last week. Jesus, I am surrounded by incompetence at every turn. Fix this Evans!" I exclaimed, and then hung up, feeling irate.

Sitting here at my desk, I'm filled with rage and I can barely contain it all. Why did I believe the idiot had fixed the problem? Deidre is no longer making that mutated gene, Joe won't speak to me, Evelyn is a babbling idiot, and my life fucking sucks. How did this all go so wrong? Evans was right to keep our own stash, and Donaldson will just have to fix this mess.