Chapter 3: The Lost - Joe

Joe

After entering the tunnels, we finally find our way through this maze of hallways. Up ahead, Cal and I hear yelling and I have a feeling we may have found our people. My daughter Amy, along with Dave, Paul, and Jacob, may have come in here to escape being captured. The plan was to locate Beth, and I think they may have found her.

As we run towards the noise, I see the double doors open and hear what sounds like boots marching towards us. Without a second thought, we slip into an alcove as the 4 guards head towards us. Calvin and I hide in the shadows as they pass by with my friend Paul and James Goodwin. They have both been shot, and neither one looks very good. Staring at my friend and Beth's father, I hear these men being told to take them to the medical wing.

No! God, no... This is all my fault. Why did I let them come in here?

Cal whispers, "My God, they have been shot."

Nodding at him, I try to keep calm and reply, "I know, this is bad."

After they drag these two down the hall, we sneak up to the doorway just as Amy vomits all over the floor. She is wearing a bra and underwear while her dress lays at her feet. Fury fills me as I watch Mark circling her, and I remember that demented look. Seeing him for the first time is shocking. But he will die for touching Amy and hurting our people.

As I pull my gun and go to storm in, Cal grabs my arm. He points to the group of guards with guns around the room and he shakes his head no. From the look on his face, I see the anguish, but he is right.

It will not help Amy if we get caught or shot.

A second later, with a look of disgust, Mark orders the guards to put her in a cell, and I take a deep breath.

For now, she is safe from that bastard, but I will kill him for this, mark my words.

Cal backs away and I do as well, so we can talk about our next step.

As we return to that alcove, Mark and a fleet of guards walk past us. It took everything I had not to reach out and strangle the fucker.

"He's lucky to have an army surrounding him because that is the only reason he is still breathing," I state as Cal stares at the father he's never even met.

Once they are further down the hall, Cal and I sneak back toward their cells. There are too many guards, so I text Dave and hope he gets it this time.

 There are too many guards, so I text Dave and hope he gets it this time

"Alright, I just texted Dave to let him know we are near. I hope he still has his phone and got the message." I tell Cal, and he nods.

Looking into his eyes, this young man is filled with rage, like me, but we have to be smart about this situation. As we are about to head out, to find another way around, we hear someone else come down the hall.