Chapter 2: The Beginning - Mathew

Mathew Roth

Council inquiry into the disappearance of:

SAMUEL BLAKE

Testimony of the accused:

MATHEW ROTH

Item #31 B–Testimony of Westmoreland house,

Investigation into the Death of Robert Goodwin,

Written and dictated voice recordings are added to this testimony.

We recently had a meeting to discuss the possible purchase of the Westmoreland house on March 29, 1949. I, Matthew Roth, Samuel Blake, and Andrew Goodwin, agree to be joint partners in our new establishment. This is my account and voice recording of what had occurred.

Looking into a house that is for sale on Westmoreland Avenue, I wanted to purchase it and turn it into our new elite men's club off campus, as we had discussed. The house is a large Colonial-style home, located in a very upscale neighborhood, which is on 10 acres of land. This would be our main headquarters until we graduate. We have already initiated sign-ups and began background checks on our new clientele. My partners and I feel by the time our approval is in hand for the new club and our new members, we will have the house ready to go for business.

We have procured a security team as per our agreement, and Matthew Roth has also agreed to be our benefactor.

Pulling up to 174 Westmoreland Avenue, the house is set back, and there are trees all around it, which makes the house seem rather old and very distinguished. The four big white round columns across the front remind me of the plantation house. It's a two-story white colonial, with black shutters, and it's deceptively huge inside. There are 24 rooms and a full basement which will be perfect for what we need.

When my business partners, Samuel Blake and Andrew Goodwin, saw the new house, they both agreed that this would be the perfect location.

I remember saying to my partners, "It is an enormous house and I have some ideas about how to transform it into what we need for our clubhouse. Let's pull around back."

As we drove around to the back, I parked under the carport,

I then added, "Alright, so I think this is a very elegant entrance and will be much more secluded for our guests. In the front, there is a large entrance foyer, but that will only be for show, like a doorman or secretary to except deliveries and whatnot. There are alcoves on either side, which we can use for security and large deliveries, like equipment and such. This house will look like a business for a lawyer's office or maybe I will put the Roth name on it so that there are fewer questions."

Then I asked if they were ready to go inside and both agreed excitedly.

This is where it all began.

Donald Millhouse was murdered outside of this building.

When we entered the house, I explained, "This was used by the town as their historical society. The realtor told me we can renovate, but that there will be certain parts of the house that cannot be changed. The face of the house, for example, must stay the same and we may not add on to it unless we get approval from the town, which shouldn't be a problem. The interior can be changed, but we need to keep it as traditional as possible. It was built in 1805, has 10 acres altogether. This place is a historical landmark. It was once part of the Harmony Society, which was a religious group that believed in celibacy and living communally. They needed to be pure, perfect, and ready for when Christ comes back to rule over the Earth. If the founders only knew what we were about to do to this house, they would turn over in their graves."