Chapter 5: Duality - Mathew

Mathew C. Roth Deposition

Council inquiry into the disappearance of:

SAMUEL BLAKE

Testimony of the accused:

MATHEW ROTH

Item #31 G–Testimony of the Death of Amanda Allen Roth

Written and dictated voice recordings are added to this testimony.

I, Mathew Roth, had just been made owner and CEO of the Roth Corporation after my father, Dominus Roth, had a massive heart attack on Christmas Day. The entire empire was handed over to me once he passed on. At this point, I was a brand-new father of twin boys, Mark and Edward. They are identical, and only Amanda and I could tell the difference between them.

Both Sam and Andrew came home from college. They had just graduated a whole year early, both finishing at the top of their class. My two best friends were very impressive. This was a challenge they agreed to during our freshman year. The two of them would make great business partners, knowing their determination, intelligence, and willingness to push themselves toward greatness.

Amanda thought it was rather funny how much our boys resemble me as a child. We were looking at my pictures at their age when Amanda said it and I should have clued in, but I regretfully did not. She said that her sons will be gorgeous like their father and I smiled proudly but knew something seemed wrong.

Sam came over later that day to give his condolences, and when we were alone, I had to ask why the twins looked so much like me as a child. Everyone has mentioned how they resemble me at that age and look nothing at all like Amanda.

Sam explained, "You and Amanda couldn't conceive, so I used your DNA, basically your human genome, to create 6 replicas of yourself and infused them with Amanda's rebuilt embryo. Then we implanted them back inside Amanda and she could carry 2 of them to full term. The boys were made from your cells. They are clones or copies of you, Matt. What we did is unheard of, technically illegal, and it has never been done before, successfully that is, until now. Between both of you having problems conceiving, this was the only way for it to work, but no one will ever know the truth except for you and me."

Shocked doesn't even come close to how I felt at that moment, but I should have known Sam would pull something like this on me. He should have told me they would be replicas so that I could prepare or at least hide all my baby pictures.

At that moment, I thought to myself, now he finally has something on me. Sam wanted Amanda to know the truth. That I forced him to help me get her pregnant so that she would be tethered to me for life. He wanted her for himself, but she was mine, and Sam couldn't have her. Amanda's father, Arthur Allen, gave her to me. I owned her and she was payment for a higher social status.

Art Allen, to this day, is a very greedy man and at the time wanted membership in our Society. He paid for it using his daughter, so she is my property. Sam wanted her. I knew he did, but he could never have my Amanda. However, for Sam's help, before I knew all of this, I had agreed to share my wife with him once a month for his aid in getting her pregnant. Of course, once I knew the truth, from that moment on, she was to be by my side, for me and only me.

There is no way I would ever tell her the truth about our children, and if Sam knew what was good for him, he would not say a word to Amanda either, or so I thought. She did not need to know the length I went to or that our children are clones of me. They are my son's and they will rule our house together one day.