Chapter 34: The sudden guest

Heya people! Sorry I have been super busy with the assignments. There are loads of crazy ideas inside my head but I got lost with the story track. You see, I always hunt for unique ideas and sometimes end up messing up. Anyways I hope you all are enjoying the story so far.

Sultan's POV

"Why are we roaming around the kingdom like nomads!" asked Serena after the third day of our travel. Apparently, the people in the village started doubting our identities. Because after our arrival, the big landlords were forced to pay hefty fines and improve the peasant laws. They all thought if we were some kind of spies of the Sultan. It was not dangerous. It was rather flattering. Because all of them wanted to come into our good books. I was so tired of their unnatural behaviour that I told Serena that I wanted to travel.

Since our horses were earlier returned to the palace, we both travelled on the foot. I was wondering which profession should I assume as a part of our disguise. I always wanted to know about life outside the palace. I must confess that it's a tough world but again, there is the freedom that is devoid within the four walls of the palace.

I was enjoying my newfound freedom but Serena was tired of walking. So we decided to pitch a tent-like structure. The sun was about to set. We were outskirts of a forest. We figured out that having a tent was the safest way to stay protected from wild animals.

As I worked hard to set it up, Serena went around the forest to gather dry woods. She knew about the edible mushrooms so she said she would collect some for our dinner.

It was dark when she returned.

"Why is there only one tent? Where is mine?" she asked.

"There were two tents. I agree. But since we were travelling on foot, I thought that maybe it would be better to carry less weight. So I took only one. Don't worry it's a huge tent so there won't be any discomfort." I said.

I had created a partition in the tent with the help of cloth so that she could feel comfortable.
She seemed to be satisfied with the arrangement.

We both lit the fire, cooked our meals and had our dinner. She was an innovative person. She had made two plates with dried up leaves.

"How did you stick those leaves together?" I was curious. She showed me a container having a sticky liquid.

"It's a glue that is extracted from the wheat powder. Before leaving the village, I asked Suriya to give me powdered rice. I cooked and stirred it until it became a glue-like substance. While you were busy pitching the tent, I made a few lightweight leaf plates." she smiled happily.

I wonder why she doesn't want to get hitched on me. I mean we were the perfect couple. In every way!

Now it was time to sleep. We both slept in our respective partition. Sleep came easily to both of us as we were too tired after walking many miles. (I could hear her snores so I say that!)

It must be in the middle of the night when I heard the sound of roaring. The sound was terrifying. I was shaken from the core. I wondered if Serena was awake. Even if she was, I dared not to make a noise.

However, I saw a hand emerging out of the partition. It grabbed my hand. Maybe Serena was trying to send me a message.

She started writing on my palm by simply making patterns in it with her index finger. I mentally thanked her father for educating her.

I could figure out what she meant.
"Do not move. I wonder if it's a lion. Do not go out!"

I felt my pocket. There was a tiny gun inside it. I always kept a dagger or a gun for emergencies. I will save Serena at all costs. Even if I would have to give up my own life!