Chapter 18:- The Next Ruler

Serena's POV

"I just came here to ask if you have found anyone responsible for the corruption of prison fund?" I asked. Having nothing to do, I accessed the Royal library and found some literature that was worth a read. However after some time, I felt bored. Maybe I could just go and inquire about the further developments of the case.

"I haven't found anyone yet. But soon will find the culprit. Ostad Farukh is genius. He will find the person along with the evidence." He said as his eyes shined brightly. Maybe this person is very important for the Sultan.

"So I overheard your conversation with Ali. You both seem to be close." I said. The way Ali looked at Sultan, anyone could tell that they both would have been very close at one point. I could however feel a strain in their relationship.

"We both were once very close. But after the death of my father, there was a race for both of us to succeed the throne. He is more capable as a ruler than I am. My only qualification is my seniority. Besides, he was and still is angry with me due to the fact that I rely on my Vazir for all the political and religious advice. " he said.

Frankly, I hated that man. I still feel satisfied when I remember how I slapped him. He deserved a punch. Whenever I am around that person, I feel a complete negative aura.

"'Me and my mother feel that he is a perfectly capable person to rely on. However Ali hated him since his childhood. At present Ali is the Commander of my army. Which is the most important position after the Vazir. I am sure he would like to climb the rank and he feels threatened by Vazir." He said.

"I am sorry Sultan; but I agree with Ali. That man is an epitome of devil. I can sense it." I said.

"Don't be mad Serena. You must have met him only once or twice. Can't form judgement on the basis of that." He said.

"My instincts are never wrong. Ali is right. " I said as I left the room.

"How can someone trust someone so blindly?" I shouted before leaving the room.

"Look at me! I trust you blindly! Isn't that the same thing!" He shouted back!

I turned around. My blood boiled. How dare he compare me with that malicious man!

"You trust me because I use logic in our discussions. Because I care for people. Because I am compassionate for the people! Know what? Leave Ali! I can be a better ruler than you!" I shouted at him. It was first time in my life that I felt so angry.

"So you think you can rule better than I do?" He now snickered. I was shocked by the sudden change of his mood.

"Yes I can." Now I was hesitant. My instinct told me that it was some sort of trap. And I was getting inside it.

"Good. Now you are the Ruler of this kingdom for next 10 days!" He smiled.

"What? Are you serious?" I asked. I was shocked.

"Yes I am. Tomorrow I will make the announcement. I know that I am breaking the biggest rule of this kingdom. That a women can never rule directly (except through influencing her son or husband who hold the title of Sultan) ... That a women can never enter a courtroom!" He said. He was smiling.

"Wait... I... I... I can't " I shouted back!

"You can. You yourself said that! Good night dear. Go to sleep. Tomorrow is the day of the announcement!" He laughed as I exited the room:

What the hell was he thinking before taking such a huge decision?

"I trust you blindly. I trust your capabilities!" He shouted as I closed the door