Chapter 9:- Sneak peak

Serena's POV

I was getting bored here. I mean ever since the women decided to be the nuns, two things were confirmed. First, I had ended the bitter rivalry between the women of the harem. Second, the Queen mother was angry with me. Madam Maria told me that she was instructed by the Sultan that I wouldn't be punished or ill treated because I was his guest.

That sounded better. But now the harem had turned into this religious sanctum. Everyone would either pray or sing the verses whole day.

Since I wasn't the nun, I decided to explore the other avenues.

I went inside the treasury room. It was the place where all the records of the treasury were kept. I was literate. My father told me how to maintain accounts. I was curious about how the accounts for the treasury were kept.

I looked around to find if there areas any guard, guarding the door. I wondered if he had gone for his lunch.

These people I tell you! They have all the money to spend behind vanity but won't spend any money in hiring an extra guard.

I went inside the room, only to find a large wooden table where the accounts were kept.

I took my time to read them carefully one by one.

After the reading was finished, I decide to exit the place before anyone could see me. There was a lot of scope for the improvement in managing the money.

I heard the sounds of the footsteps. Probably it was the guard.

"Hello ma'am, who are you?" He Shouted at me. I was not a fool to tell him my real name.

I ran out of the study, with him following me. I rushed towards a large hall, filled with loads of chairs and a throne. Since there was no one around, I hid behind the throne. I heard the sound of the guard from the distance. He hadn't seen me hiding behind the throne.

Slowly I head the sounds of retreating footsteps until the sound ceased. I decided to get out of the place before anyone could catch me.

Before I could get out, I heard the sounds of footsteps. I guessed that there were more than two people.

Slowly I could hear the sounds of many people, murmuring and whispering at the same time. Then I realised. I was in the court! The place that banned the presence of women! If anyone sees me, then I will be in deep waters!

Suddenly I heard the announcement about the Sultan's arrival. And then I heard the sounds of footprints and felt the throne move a little. The Sultan had sat on his throne. The proceedings started.

"Your highness, we are running into deep financial troubles!" Said one voice. I guess he was one of the Pashas (ministers).

"Yes sir, with the floods approaching, we will be  required to spend for the public!" Said another Pasha.

"What do we do? Do we have any suggestions?" Asked Sultan.

" Your Highness, we must increase our treasury funds. For that I propose higher taxes!" Said the first minister.

I felt angry. Those morons were looting the funds of the public and then redistributing the same to the public just so that they could help us.

"No pasha. We cannot do the same. You see, it's like looting the public of their own funds in the times of need. " said the Sultan.

I need to do something about it. The flood was also going to affect my own family and village.

As soon as the court sessions ended, I heard everyone leave. After sometime, I got out of the place when I was sure that there was an absence of the any living being around.