Chapter 6: Strong Khanum

Serena's POV

It was difficult. Very difficult to hide my emotions. To appear cool calm and collected. I had somehow manipulated the Sultan to cancel my punishment Of death. However, I had to pay a price. I had to allow him to take me into the palace temporarily. But that was the only way to avoid the execution without being desperate.

Suddenly I heard him whisper to his Vazir

That brute made my parents beg for my life! How dare he did that?

As I rode ahead of him, waving my fellow villagers, I realised that the Vazir was eyeing me angrily while the Sultan was smirking.

Now the question was, what wrong did I do? I mean, I threw off my footwear. Because I loved to ride barefoot. Unlike the other girls, I was obsessed with horse riding. Thankfully my neighbour taught me how to ride a horse after my father requested him.

Anyways, I was yet to figure out the crime I had committed. I looked at the Vazir and shouted, "Is everything all right?"

The Sultan's grin broke into laughter and I could see the Vazir's face started getting red with anger.

"Khanum (madam)" the Vazir tried to control his anger. "You are supposed to walk behind the Sultan."

"Oh," I thought. "But why? What is the purpose behind this rule?" I shouted back? The Sultan looked at me, amused.

"Well, the armies are always lead by the king! Because he is our leader!"

"And what if a Queen wants to lead the army?" I shouted back.

Now was the time to tease the Sultan. He had signed the document, meaning thereby he had promised to release me after two fortnights. The King cannot harm me else he will lose the trust of the public. Which meant that I was free to take full advantage of the situation.

"Well, that has never happened before!" grinned Sultan.

"Why? Doesn't your harem allow powerful women to lead ?" it was the time I crush his claim that women were respected in his reign. Lair. I had heard the stories of women being mistreated in the palace.

"Well, those rights are reserved for the Sultana!" he winked at me.

I was frustrated. This man refuses to lose his cool. I decided to test his patience further.

"Seems like you are too busy entertaining the pleasures of women to make them your Sultana! How I wish I could live a careless life like your majesty!" I gently taunted him.

I turned around to look at his face. He quickly hid his shocked expressions and snickered at me.

"I try Khanum (Ma'am) I try. But I am yet to find Sultana! However, someone turned down the offer today" he grinned. Referring to the fact that I had told him that I would prefer my death over being a Sultana. He then playfully grinned at me.

I wish I could make him angry. Make him lose his cool so that he could do something bad in his anger and I could tell everyone how mad he was. Just like his father.