chapter 2: Walks in the park/Screams in the dark

As Misty and Jessica walked out of the museum, they noticed the waitress who served drinks during their talk with the curator only moments ago. She was sitting on a nearby park bench, but quickly stood when she noticed the two ladies. The setting sun glistened off her pristine face and golden hair. She really was a beautiful young woman under the obvious stress. “Hello, again.” the woman sheepishly waved. “I just wanted to apologize again for spilling on your jacket.”

“No biggie, it's just leather doesn't smell too great when it's wet, y’know. Also, my husband doesnt like it when i drink so if he smells this bourbon on me Im gonna be the one in the dog house.”

“Oh. Ok.” The woman, as before, seemed very nervous. As if something serious were weighing on her mind. “You… you forgive me?”

“Yeah. Don't worry about it.” Jessica said and gave her a playful jab on her shoulder.

“It's nearly dark, and i hate walking through central park alone. Is there anyway you guys could walk with me until i get a cab?” the woman pleaded.

“Where do you live?” Misty joined.

“South Harlem.” the woman answered.

“Well, i live down there too so why don't we just walk you all the way home?” Jessica volunteered, and the young woman's worried countenance finally became a slight smile.

The three of them walked through Central Park and made their small talk about life in New York. Small cogs in the massive machine that is metropolis. The waitress, Felicia Bifrost, as she was named slowly grew gloomy as they walked. There was once again the feeling of something that needed to be said was impending, but none of them said a thing. Finally, in a mask of tears and snot Felicia broke down into hysterics and confided to Jessica and Misty…
“i know who stole that old book…” tears rolling down her cheeks in waves and her voice catching. “It was my baby brother!”

Misty caught Felicia as she nearly collapsed, degrading into the hyperventilating cry of a child. “Wait, what??!!” Jessica asked incredulously.

“I have a twin brother, Johnny. He was born a few seconds after me. He's a good boy, i promise. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't have to.”

Briskly gripping Felicia’s arms and straightening her posture, Misty looked into Felicia's eyes with an intense look. “Ok, i need you to calm down, Felicia. This is very important. We are going to need you to tell us about your brother, and why you think he took the book.”

“Well, he hangs out with those guys everybody calls the flashing blades.” Felicia confided, slowing her breathing.

“You mean, the gang?” Misty tried to clarify.

“He's not a gangster, he's a good brother. He's always done what he had to do to survive and take care of me. It was only when i got this job at the Met that i wasnt depending on him to get by. Last Sunday, when we had dinner together i overheard him talking on the phone. About a ‘job at the Met’!” Felicia easily let it all come out now. “it wasn't until after it happened that i put 2 and 2 together and realized he must've had something to do with the burglary.”

“Well, if he did steal it, your brother and this gang are in a lot of trouble.” Misty proclaimed.

“No! Please!” Felicia began hysterically sobbing again. “I’ve tried to get Johnny to leave the gang so many times, but he's scared of what they'll do if he tries. They had to have made him do it.”

“When's the last time you saw, Johnny?” Jessica quickly inquired.

“I can tell you where he is, but i don't want to lose my brother to the prison system. Johnny has a good heart. I swear, he would give you the book back if you confronted him. If you promise not to arrest him, and get him away from those thugs he thinks are his friends, i can help you get it back tonight.” Felicia swore with a desperate gleam in her eye.

Misty and Jessica silently weighed their options and conferred through body language before Misty finally replied to Felicia. “Ok, we'll help your brother. But where is he?”

“Johnny said he was going to a meeting tonight at a dive called Hank’s Tavern at midnight tonight. If he did take it, the stolen book will be there.”

-

Having spent a bit too much time indoors for the day, Danny Rand ventured out for a night stroll in the park. The people he saw walking were much different than the New Yorkers of the daylight hours. There were no longer any youths playing sports, people riding bikes, or couples walking with their children. The citizens there then were a seedy lot-- the kind that only lives in the poor glow of the street lamps. When suddenly, from out of the darkness Danny heard a scream of pain.
Running towards the sound Danny found Mark Black laying face down in the dirt, moaning loudly. Looking around, there seemed to be no sign of assailants. Danny recognized Mark Black as a youth at risk in his own neighborhood that Danny had recently seen in the company of some questionable peers. Mark had recently joined the Flashing Blades, a local set-gang with a proclivity for knifes.
Danny rushed to aid his neighbor.

Struggling to stand, Mark screamed “we gotta warn the set!! There's a hit!” and lapsed heavily into unconsciousness in Danny’s arms.
Danny lifted Mark and began running to the nearest hospital.

-