Chapter 28: Jay and Ben

Chapter 28

I wasn't feeling too well on Thursday, and called in to get my evening shift covered. Janet said she would do all she could, and that if no one else was available she would teach the lessons for me. I thanked her and lay back on my bed, with my laptop playing music at my side. Half an hour or so later Sid woke up and came into my room.

"What's up with you?" he gasped. "You look like hell!"

"Good morning to you too," I answered gruffly, sitting up slowly. "What do you mean I look like hell?"

He grinned. "Have you looked in a mirror at all since you got up?" he smirked.

"I haven't got up yet, I haven't been out of bed since yesterday evening," I said. "And now I'm not sure I want to, if I look as bad as you say."

"You're pale, and you're dripping sweat, and your breaths are really quick," he said, sounding a little more serious. "You sure you're not dying or something?" I resisted the urge to throw something at him, only because I thought I might pass out if I did. I lay back down and looked sullenly at him while he surveyed me. "You're missing your friends a lot, aren't you?" Sid said. "I don't think there's anything else that could suddenly make you so sick, I don't think I've ever seen you this pale in my life. You're as white as a sheet!"

I didn't say anything for a couple of minutes; yes, I was missing them a lot and now that I thought about it, it definitely seemed like the most probable reason for my sudden weakness and tiredness because no one around me had been sick this week. "Yeah, I miss them," I said. "But on the bright side, the week's almost over and they'll be back soon. I'm glad of that at least." I forced a smile, which seemed to put him at ease.

"Do you think you'll be better by tonight?" he asked worriedly. I snorted, it seemed somewhat unlikely. "But then what are we going to do about a coach?" I stared at him blankly, completely at a loss for a minute.

"What are you talking about? Your team never has games on a Thursday!" I said somewhat testily.

"Never DID," he corrected. "We had a cancelled game a couple of weeks ago, remember? It was rescheduled to today." I groaned loudly as I realized he was right. Sid continued in a hopeful tone, "Maybe Greg can do it on his own tonight?" I clutched at that faint ray of hope and logged on my Facebook to ask him. But when I went to his page I stopped dead. At the very top, his most recent status caught my eye: 'R. I. P. Grandpa, you will always be missed.' It had been posted late last night; my heart throbbed hard as I read and re-read that one line. There was no way Greg would be in any state to coach after that.

"Well?" Sid's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Are you going to ask him or should I?" I turned slowly to face him.

"I'm not asking him," I said sternly. "And you're not to ask either, got it?"

"Why?" he demanded.

"Enough. I've said it, okay?" I knew Greg wouldn't want this news talked about amongst the team, and if Sid found out then everyone would know by the time the match started. "I'll coach you guys tonight, no matter how I'm feeling." He seemed satisfied, and bounced out of my room. I sent a text to Greg to express my sympathy, and then lay on my side again, scrolling through my news feed online.

A short while later Jay messaged me and we started talking again. He was telling me all about Francesca and it only made me miss my friends more. However, I tried not to let that show in my replies to his messages. I must have given something away though. 'What's the matter mate?' he asked. My heart skipped a beat.

'Nothing,' I replied, hoping he would buy it. I should have known better though.

'Don't give me that bullshit mate,' he said. 'Something's seriously wrong, I can tell.' I sighed; somehow Jay was able to tell whenever something was on my mind. I launched into the story, telling him about Carrie and Tracy, what all we had done so far this summer, the mix of emotions I had gone through regarding Tracy, and finally, how much I had been missing them this entire week. He said nothing and simply let me type on and on until I was done, for which I was grateful because it allowed me to say exactly what was on my mind. When I finished he was still silent for another minute. Finally he replied.