Am I Really Here?

Name: Maya Quinn

Age: 17

Ethnicity: White

Infected:

Parents: Emily and Robert Quinn-deceased

Height: 5'3 (I think)

Weight: last time I checked 120 lb.

Ugh I hate feeling out the weight one there are things you just can't ask a lady, one of them being weight and another one being age though I don't have to worry about that one.

"Here." I said handing my papers to the lady at the front desk behind glass.

"You didn't fill out if your infected or not." She said matter of factly. I don't even know why that would be on there first off; when you get infected your out of your freaking mind to even read, let alone write.

"I'm not" I say irritated.

"No need to be rude." Gosh she is really getting on my nerves.

"Have you come into contact with someone infected in the past 24 hours?" She continued. I'm so fumed by her arrogance that I don't respond and just give her 'are you kidding me?' daggers until she starts fiddling with something on her desk and I don't have time to respond before a big gloved hand is shoved into my face and everything goes black.

----

I wake up in a bright white room windows in front of me with people in lab coats writing down my every move. I scream, but no one hears me. I walk up to the glass-then they notice, two of them look like twins around my age-wait-they all look around my age.

"What am I; some sort of science project?" I yell at them and am surprised to see I actually got a reaction, a small smirk from one of the guys in the corner with warm brown eyes and shaggy blonde hair.

Suddenly I feel a presence at my side, a little boy, no older than thirteen-my little sisters age; where is she?

"Let me out of here!" I scream with panic in my voice,"Where is she?" My voice cracks on 'is.' Now I'm crying, great, I failed her and are parents I promised them I'd keep her safe.

I fall limp to the floor.

It's over I'm nothing,I failed to protect her, I failed at being a big sister, I failed my parents, and most of all I failed the human race. My sister could save them, save them all every single one of them and now, what happens now? I know one thing for sure that is I need to fight to find her, hopefully she made it to the compound okay I made sure of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Amanda, this way." I whisper yelled at my sister and she followed.

"Don't-" boom, "make a noise" I finished a little too late and looked at my sisters pale face with her green eyes wide open.

'Sorry," she mouthed. No time for apologies we need to get out of here before they notice if they haven't already. I grab her hand and am prepared to run when a screecher jumps in my path I quickly click the trigger on my pistol because he was so fast normally I'd get him with my pocket knife, but desperate times call for desperate actions and I'm much too comfortable using the easy way.

We run as fast as I can, but the shot brought too much attention now their are a lot more of the infected after us.

Just a little bit further and we'll make it, we have to. Don'tlookbehind you. Donotlookbehindyou, Maya! Damn it I looked there are too many behind us and if we split up she just might make it there.

"You need to keep on running I'll meet you at the compound." I don't know if I'll make it, but if I promise her I will, she'll make it. She looks at me like wtf.

"I promise," and with that she runs faster.

"I love you!" I yell.

"I'm not listening you could tell me when you get to the compound, love you!" She yells back at me. That little brat she heared me, but I'm thankful she said that; makes what I'm about to do more worth it.

I turn around still moving, but backwards. I aim BOOM, a screamer down 9 more to go BOOM, a licker goes down and don't even ask why it's called that BOOM, BOOM, two more.

"You guys are too easy come on I'm not even in full speed yet, are you tired?" I ask which is pretty useless because they're not even alive.

BOOM, another one bites the dust. I think I've jinxed myself because a big sweller comes my way they're a lot harder to kill because they're so damned big and have some protection against the gun, but they're not impossible just have to aim CLICK-nothing.

"Shoot, shoot, shoot, this can't be happening." I turn around looking for an escape rout running as fast as I can and trying not to go the same way as Manda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awaken to black boots nudging my face softly. The owner being the guy from the corner.

"Wake up." He says gently.

"Five more minutes, mom."I tease back, but don't let it fool you I'm seriously tired I haven't had this much sleep since the apocalypse happened, so like two years ago.

"Not even for bacon." With that my head popped right up.

"You have bacon?" I asked in disbelief.

"No, but it woke you up." He said and I put my head back on the cold hard floor as my stomach growled.

"Come with me if you want to eat." He said in a deep tone while walking out of the room I got up as fast as I could to follow him, but quickly fell due to lightheadedness.

"You okay?" He asked standing over me. He quickly gave me his warm calloused hand to help me up I took it awkwardly grabbing three of his fingers than his wrist.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just got up too fast." I said as he pulled me up. Leading me out the door we walked a long hall that matched the cage I was in. He led me through hall after hall like a maze I can't even remember the way back.

We reached the end of the hall where people hide with guns behind a huge plastic curtain that hangs from the top of the doorway. He turns to me hands on my shoulders.

"You need to stay here and be quiet no matter what do not follow me until I say." He demands in a hushed tone not waiting for me to answer he sneaks up to the guy on the left takes his gun and shoots them both. I'm left paralyzed in fear when he grabs my hand.