Chapter Three

A strong arm wraps around me turning me as we fall inside.  Staring at each other as are hearts beat fast in unison.  We stay there face to face for what seems like forever until a cough breaks the moment. 

I scramble to my feet, embarrassed and probably blushing.  He on the other hand, laughs at my expense. Sarah immediately runs up to Chris to see if he's okay, but he brushes her off and stands.

"So what was that about?" Jack questions looking to the both of us.  I just stand collecting my thoughts still shaking from what could of happened.

"She almost fell." Chris answers for me putting his hands in his pockets and looking me up and down with a worried expression to see if I was alright I return with a nervous smile.

"Well I'm glad your alright." Says Jake while stretching,"Well I'm gonna take a nap if you need me I'll be in that room." He finishes while yawning and pointing
to a room to the right through a living room behind a worn red dusty couch. 

This place smells forgotten and old like an antique or a basement it somehow comforts me; reminds me of going camping how you'd start with unpacking the smell of sand the warmness of the tent and the natural sun coming in.

Jake disappears than reappears a few seconds later "There is food in that bag," He points to a cloth bag on the coffee table. "And there should be water on the counter." He turns then disappears back into his room.

"Thank you." I say to deaf ears grabbing a water then to the couch I go.

A homemade roll, little baggie of grapes, and a apple is what the bag contained.  Sitting back I pop in a delicious sweet sour grape I close my eyes this is the best thing I've had in a long time I pop more in until the bag is half full.

"Good, huh?" Asks Chris with a wicked grin, leaning against a corner next to the fridge.  The only thing separating the living room from the kitchen is orange-brown carpet and brown tiled floors.

I quickly swallow the grapes to talk "Yup" then offer him some, he happily takes a fist full. He tips his head dumping it all into his mouth then moves to join me on the couch.  Along with Sarah who doesn't acknowledge my existence.  I  move to the bread a little crunchy and hard, but food is food and I don't discriminate.

"You seriously need a bib." Well I  guess she does notice and man she's mean saying that just because I have some crumbs, gosh she needs to grow up.  Though it does hurt I just continue eating as if it didn't faze me.  I just hope my face doesn't give me away.

"Don't mind Sarah, she's just hangry. " he looks down to Sarah as if trying to tell her something with his eyes.

"Sorry." She says scrunching her eyebrows together in mock apology and gets up and walks out the front door in the kitchen next to the stove which makes me wonder why I had to sneak in through the window I'll just have to ask.

"Chris-" I start off, but am cut off by him.  He's standing now, looking down to me, so I get up too.

"I'm sorry about her it takes her a while to warm up to someone."  He shoves his hands in his pockets and looks to me with expecting eyes.

"You don't need to be sorry I've dealt with worse." I answer truthfully.  He looks as though he's going to say something when Sarah walks back in.

"Don't you have anything else to do than talk with my man." She is infuriating me I don't care if he is, but the way she is treating me is ridiculous I don't deserve this.

"Don't you have something else to do than bully someone you just met." I say mocking her by putting my hands on my hips and sounding like the world is blessed to have me.  She doesn't say anything she just runs up to Chris kisses him like her life depends on it, then looks to me with a wicked evil grin and leaves.

"Umm, so, where do I sleep." I ask breaking the silence.  He doesn't say anything he just leads me to Jack's room, opens the door quietly, and leads me to a lower bunk.  "Thanks."

"I'm sorry about Sarah, we've had this awkward thing going on for-" he begins, but I silence him with my hand.  I don't really want to hear about it.  I just want him to leave.

"It's fine, it's not like I'm into you or anything." I half lie, of course I kind of have feelings for him, he saved me, but he's with someone else so I'll back off.  I don't want to be one of those girls and besides it's not like he'd feel the same way; not with someone as beautiful as Sarah around.

He leaves me behind with a snoring Jack, I can't help, but laugh at myself for ever thinking I'd stay here with Chris.  This is only for tonight. Tomorrow I'll look for her.  I remind myself.

Memories of my family plague my dreams.  Not bad ones just the ones you'd wish would last forever.  Treasured family memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You look beautiful, sweetheart." Mom says as I descend the staircase wearing a  knee length black lacy dress, black shiny flats, pearl necklace and earrings.  With my copper hair loosely curled past my waist.

"Thanks, where is he?" I ask looking down, worried that he has stood me up.

"Not here yet." My dad says with a sneer.  Looking back to the window by the front door than back up to me and smiles, one that's pure and reaches his green eyes, the same eyes that I have.  "Don't worry, sweetheart."

After a few hours it was clear he wasn't coming.  I was officially stood up.

"Let's get some ice cream." My dad suggests putting his hands on his knees to get up.  All I could do is nod between sobs.  He offers me a hand I take it, and the four of us are on our way.

As soon as we arrive I've stopped my balling because it was stupid to cry over a boy anyway.  I'm just thirteen, I have my whole life ahead of me.

We go up to the register where a blonde girl is taking orders.  I order cookies'n'cream, my sister orders mint chocolate chip, and my parents order lemon custard to share.

The whole night we goofed off, told jokes, and talked about life it was nice and I completely forgot about the dance, it simply didn't matter anymore because I have my wonderfully embarrassing family who I'd never trade for anything at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up crying with a worried Jack in my face.  Shoot I must've woke him up.

"I-I'm sorry."  Is all I could say before another sob escapes me.  He swiftly wraps me up into his arms and cradles me telling me I'm okay and everything will be alright.

********A/N********

So little heads up next chapter will be shorter then usual, but it needed to be that way.  My updating schedule will be different instead of on Mondays I'll try twice in one week, just my little celebratory thing for summer.  So how is your summer?  If you don't have one sorry, but how is your day?  Hope all is good.

Love,
MJkarr98