23 - Andrew & Allen

Andrew stepped out of the precinct with a relieved sigh

Andrew stepped out of the precinct with a relieved sigh. His whole body felt exhausted. His feet were numb, while his eyelids felt heavy like marbles. The stockholder's meeting had already ended hours ago, and since there was nothing else he could do except hide from the media, sleeping sounded like a good plan. He looked up at the night sky. The stars were out tonight, and his eyes gazed at them as his feet started walking aimlessly.

"Andrew! Yoohoo!"

Andrew wondered how Allen was doing.

"I don't think he hears you, dear. Let me."

Someone was calling out to him, but he didn't have the energy to look.

"Andrew!"

Someone who he thought he had successfully avoided. He glanced towards the road. He was absentminded and hadn't noticed a black car had been slowly driving beside him. Mr. and Mrs. Lopez peeked out from a rolled-down window of the black car. This was the first time they called him by his real name. He was stunned and confused, and he didn't know what to do. Should he run, or was this the moment they will slap him with money?

"No need to look so frightened, dear," said Mrs. Lopez. She chuckled. "Apologies as we cannot step out of the vehicle as journalists might be snooping around. Come closer." She waved him over. Andrew did for whatever reason. He crouched down to their eye level but remained quiet.

"We are not angry, Andrew," said Mr. Lopez.

"You should be," Andrew replied. He couldn't meet their eyes. "I permanently scarred the family business you've sweated blood for. The internet's forever, you know. I'm not sure if people would even take Allen seriously after this. But we've put Alex behind bars, so please take it as my apology. I'll do what I can to fix this. I know we've been lying to your faces about who I was, but—"

"Andrew, please do not feel sorry," said Mr. Lopez. He reached out his hand and patted Andrew on the head. "You were never at fault here. Alex is. And regarding your identity, I'm sorry to say, but I have always known who you were. I was actually surprised you hadn't caught on."

Andrew was taken aback. "You did? How? What? Wait," Andrew sputtered out. "No, that's impossible. I was very convincing as Alfonso."

Mr. Lopez snorted, amused. "How could I not know you? Every time Allen meets me in my office, he's always going on about this Secretary Andrew fellow he's working with. Even when we are having dinner, Allen's singing praises for you. He never stops talking about you. Maybe he hadn't realized it, but it was painfully obvious he felt something for you."

He suddenly remembered Mr. Lopez calling him 'Andrew' when he showed up as Alfonso. Andrew remained quiet, but the redness on his face was telling of his emotions. Whether the redness came from his embarrassment of pretending to be Alfonso even though they already knew him, or it was the fact that Allen had been telling his parents about Andrew, he wasn't so sure anymore.