18 - Rich People Are Still Dramatic

Andrew's heart drummed a hundred beats per minute as he paced in the limited space of his apartment floor

Andrew's heart drummed a hundred beats per minute as he paced in the limited space of his apartment floor. He could not understand why he felt so nervous about a simple thing as a family photoshoot. He glanced at the mirror and inspected his attire: a formal black suit and pieces of silver accessories. He realized that if he wore his earpiece and held some documents in his hand, he would already be Secretary Andrew. And that thought made him more nervous somehow. Ugh.

He changed into the navy-blue suit that Allen gave him, making him look more casual and fun. His thoughts wandered to what pose rich families make for this type of thing. Do they smile? Do they throw a peace sign? Or do they do that thing where they fake a laugh and bend down just a little to look like they're having the time of their lives? Andrew was at a loss. And he remembered that he had forgotten something.

Ah. He forgot that he should be feeling nervous, which caused him to pace again. He would've never stepped out of his apartment if a knock on his door didn't interrupt him.

He opened the door, and a handsome Allen with a warm smile on his stupid face shone on him. He was in a brown and slim suit and tie. It was rare for him to wear a color outside of the black and gray spectrum. Allen was a sight to look at. But he was still a jerk.

"What's with the grin, jerk?" Andrew leaned on the doorframe. Fixated on Allen's earnest expression.

Allen chuckled and replied, "I'm just happy. Come on. Our family's waiting."

Allen cleared his throat. There was a hint of red on his cheeks. He side-eyed Andrew, embarrassed by the stare he was receiving.

He grabbed Andrew by the hand and excitedly pulled him out of his apartment. Today, it was Allen who was in the driver's seat. Andrew couldn't help but recall the night their relationship changed forever when Allen drove him for the first time. He never noticed the handsome profile of his boss. Ah, because the bastard never drove for Andrew. Jerk.

"There's a business trip next Friday," Allen segued into a conversation. "It's with an energy cooperative in Bicol. We could visit some sights on the way, would you like that?"

Andrew nodded at Allen's veiled attempts in getting him to travel. It was amusing yet generous of him to do so.

As they approached the studio, Luiz was already waiting by the front. He spotted them from afar. He perked up and dashed back inside. When they stopped by the entrance, the whole Lopez family was already gathered and waiting with joyous grins.

"You are finally here, deary." Mrs. Lopez had been trying out several terms of endearment ever since he had confessed. It was weird, but Andrew didn't stop her. She was dressed in a white Filipinana finished by a shawl pinned together by a gold brooch on her chest. She pulled him out of his car seat and embraced him tightly. Her smile was radiant.

Luiz, in a bespoke gray suit, flashed him a teasing smirk. His hair was slicked back, and the round spectacles he usually donned were gone. He seemed to be in the mood to tease Andrew today. Even Mr. Lopez joined in. The words 'Ravishing' and 'Handsome' were thrown around. The ease at which they had bantered wasn't left amiss with Andrew. They were more acting like a family these days.