11 - A Nightmare from The Past

Beep

...Beep

...Beep.

There was a faint beeping sound calling Andrew to consciousness.

It was faint but consistent as the rhythm of a heartbeat.

...Beep.

His mind told him to move, to stand up, but his body wouldn't listen.

...Beep.

"Son, Wake up!"

Andrew was jolted awake when a violent tug on his wrist ripped him away from his bed. He was too late to react. He tumbled down to the floor and a sharp pain exploded on his knees. His young mind was still trying to comprehend the situation when he was dragged on the floor by the same excruciating hold on his wrist. 

He struggled to stand on his legs and find his balance while eyeing the back of an old man's silhouette against the bright fluorescent light. The vile smell of alcohol wafted from his whole body and stung Andrew's nose

Beep. Beep.

"Dad?" Andrew's small voice trembled with fear.

"So, you're wasting our money with Rio," he replied. "Eating outside when we have perfectly good food here. How many times do I have to repeat myself?"

He clutched Andrew by the crown of his head and shoved a plate of rice and fried eggs against his face. The silverware clattered down to the floor with a sharp and pitched noise.

Beep. Beep.

Andrew saw the disgust reflected in his dad's eyes as he watched the tears flow down Andrew's cheeks.

"Crying...why are you crying? How 'bout I teach you how to be a man?"

His chest pounded. Its rapid beating drowned out his dad's mumbling. Andrew clawed at the hands of his dad. Andrew stepped on the discarded knife on the ground and dragged it along with him.

They entered the bathroom. The fluorescent light blinded him. His dad filled a tub with running water. Andrew took a huge breath of air. A strong force shoved his face down the water. It filled his lungs, his throat, his ears.

BeepBeepBeep.

The beeping continuously got louder, and louder, and louder, and suddenly faster until it filled Andrew's head with a constant, rapid beeping noise that enveloped him wholly until his eyes were pried open as he woke up. 

He shot up from his bed. His chest rose and fell with rapid gasps of breaths. He rubbed his eyes to clear his vision. From somewhere in the room, distant voices were calling out to him. He didn't know how many. He dragged his hand along his face and saw the blurred outline of a hand inching towards him. He pushed himself back and slapped the hand away.