19 - Welcome Home, Alfonso

"Secretary Andrew?"

"Secretary Andrew?"

Upon hearing his name, Andrew tore his eyes away from the ground and a courteous smile formed on his lips by instinct.

Just a few minutes ago, he was standing in a daze just a step away from the Lopez Mansion Gates.

Luiz was already waiting for Andrew to come in, but his feet refused to move. Andrew knew that he would be one step closer to ending this charade once he crossed this gate. The realization terrified him to his core, causing a chasm of emptiness in his head.

Maybe he was being too paranoid.

He moved to follow Luiz inside, yet his hesitation only grew stronger with each step. He repeatedly asked himself what kept him from ending this right here, right now.

Their parents only need one more push: a confession of the truth.

After that, Andrew has got five million in his hand, a brand-new apartment, and his freedom from Lopez Co.

But why was he paralyzed with doubt at this critical moment?

Luiz crossed the threshold and intended to go further in, but he stopped when he noticed Andrew was just standing still.

"Andrew, I am well aware that we have only known each other for quite a while," he said. "But discerning people is my area of expertise. Forgive me for saying this, but I observe there is one more obstacle that you are facing from building your restaurant aside from your financials."

Andrew couldn't decipher the meaning of the words said to him. He regarded the younger man in front of him. In the dim yellow light of the living room, Andrew realized how similar Luiz and Allen's silhouettes were.

"Do you plan on coming in soon?" Luiz asked, joking.

After he plucked up the courage, he crossed the threshold and waited for the world to explode, but nothing happened after a minute or two. The whole house was quiet. Mr. and Mrs. Lopez were not waiting for them as Andrew expected. Even Allen was absent.

"They must have gone to bed," said Luiz, relieved. He exhaled through his nose and pressed his lips to a thin line. "I did not realize it was already this late since we left just before midnight. They are normally asleep by this hour."

Andrew's gut feeling told him that they weren't. Instead, Andrew was confident that they were contemplating how to best approach their son. But Andrew chose not to voice it out.

Looking around, Andrew's eyes gravitated to the newly displayed picture frames on the shelf where the old family photo stood.

"Do you mind If I excuse myself for the night?" Luiz yawned and loosened his tie. "Should you wish to stay for the night, Allen's old room is adjacent to mine. Feel free to use it to your heart's content. Well, good night, Secretary Andrew."

Andrew simply nodded as Luiz disappeared to his room. He returned his focus on the row of new framed photos. It started with a picture of Mrs. Lopez tending to the gardens while smiling brightly at the photographer. Next was a photo of a visibly eager Luiz leading a lecture in a fully occupied auditorium. Then a picture of Allen with a wide grin as he cooked in the kitchen as his eyes were bright with happiness.