Chapter 12: A Princess Fair

"Give me another chance," he implored her. "I shall return to a romantic poem. To the one I first composed. What was it?" He crumpled his brow in the most adorable way possible, and she felt her heart being tugged towards him.

Why was that? Perhaps because he'd been the kindest to her of anyone she'd ever met. Even in the short time during which she'd been acquainted with him. So maybe it was natural that she should want to lean on him.

"A princess fair," he recalled. Then frowned. "Ah, the next line didn't rhyme, right? So I must fix it."

"Wrapped in summer...hmm..." As he concentrated, he chewed on his lip for a moment, and she discovered this mannerism was extremely endearing. She sat staring at that beautiful mouth. And briefly wondered what it would feel like if she brushed her lips across his.

"A princess fair,

I can't but stare.

Wrapped in wonder,

Cloaked in summer,

"Its sweet embrace,

Blooming her face,

Makes my heart race

In alarming pace."

He fell silent, and his cinnamon eyes collided with hers. He smiled. "How did I do?"

She nodded. "Better," she responded breathlessly.

And he blinded her with his grin.

Of course, he couldn't possibly mean the words he was speaking. But they were lovely sentiments. She would have adored them had Seon Woo spoken them to her. Had he felt them towards her, she would have rejoiced inwardly.

What would it feel like to make a man desire her? To woo him with her blushing cheeks or the flash of her intense eyes? To hold a delicate power over him?

She'd been subject to another's authority her whole life. The old king. Her own father. Her mother. Now, her brother. She had never been free.

Were she to win this man's heart, would she finally feel the exhilaration of true freedom? Or would she simply find her heart entrapped yet again?

He continued to smile at her for several seconds. But when her face did not lighten in return, he allowed his lips to relax.

"You didn't care for it?"

"I don't believe it."

He frowned at her.

"At least, not if it's an ode to me."

His eyes perused her countenance, appreciating the way the light of the dying sun was playing along her skin. Lending it a rosy golden glow. "You don't believe a man could be moved by the roses in your cheeks?"

She shook her head.

"Then you don't know me very well," he murmured quietly.

She fenced with him. "As you don't know me very well."

"Ah, but that is why I am here."

"To get to know me better?"

"Exactly. So...tell me a little about yourself."

She blinked. At a loss. "What do you want to know?"

"What interests you?"

"Shooting," she answered succinctly.

"Ah, yes, your bow." He glanced around. "Where is it tonight?"

"I left it in my chamber."

"Why?"