Chapter Twelve: The One Named Kaez

Sam looked up at Anna nervously. "Why does this keep happening?"

"I'm not sure, Sammy," she whispered.

"No worries. Your friends are free. It was my doing."

The kids looked around quickly while their Digimon stood protectively nearby. "Show yourself!" Jimmee commanded.

"Wow. You seriously don't recognize an old friend? I suppose it has been a while."

A stirring from the shadows caught everyone's eye. A girl walked out from the darkness slowly. She was slightly tanned and had wavy black hair with brown tips. Her eyes were bright red and staring in satisfaction at Anna. she had a red beanie on her head. The girl wore black jeans and abalck tank top. Combat boots covered the lower half of her jeans, and a long red scarf blew in the wind.

"K-Kaez?" Anna asked quietly.

"Who's 'Kaez?'" Sam questioned.

"That would be me. And your friends don't recognize me. I thought you'd never forget a DigiDestined."

"It is you!" JImmee exclaimed, running to Kaez and enveloping her in a bear hug.

"Yeah. And your hugs haven't gotten any looser, Jims," Kaez replied stiffly.

Jimmee released. "Sorry."

"Don't forget about me!" A Gabumon jumped from the shadows to Kaez's side.

"Gabumon!" Anna breathed.

Renamon stood less impressed. "Weren't you dead?"

"No. After Maia left...I didn't see her for three months...I found a portal into the Digital World...so I still haven't gone home," Kaez explained slowly.

"Four years in the Digital World?!" Gumdramon shouted.

"Yep. It gets easier eventually," Kaez giggled.

"So, you freed our friends?" Dracomon asked.

"Yep. Gabumon here hit them unexpectedly, and Shadies let them get away," Kaez smirked.

"We should go looking for them," Sam suggested.

"But first you should deal with me."

The group then noticed Dobermon standing nearby. Sam gasped. "You're the same one that attacked Tay, Kyle, and I!"

"Yep. And I'm going to be the one to beat you, not those pathetic Shadow Reigners," Dobermon announced.

-----

"What was that about?" Raegan muttered as she pushed herself to her feet.

"Kaez," Ayame whispered.

"Ayame, reminiscing will get us no where at this point," Ceya said.

"I heard her. She was the one that freed us," Ayame continued quietly.

"Who is she?" Charlie questioned.

"Kaez is a friend. Four years ago, her mom adopted a girl her age from the orphanage: Maia. The two became like sisters. Then one day, I was being bullied and they stood up for me. After that, Jimmee, Anna, and Fumiko showed up, and we went on a journey in the Digital World. When we came back, Maia was taken back to the orphanage, and we didn't see her until arriving at the school. Everyone thought Kaez had died, but she seems to have just run away to this world," Ayame explained, still in shock.

"Wow," was all Charlie could say.

"I'm going to cry," Lopmon frowned.

"Regardless, she helped us. As far as I'm concerned, our first mission is to find her and the others," Ayame said.