5. Mr Nightmare

-Some nightmares are reality-

Sila

Smoky air, stale food and cheap yellow taxis were the tokens of my first day's start at the Hill land. Maryam and I had to wake up as soon as the sun was hinted at in the sky and were asked to get in a yellow taxi by a stoic factory man. He told us that this was going to be the routine for us labourers. 

Cheap breakfast. Early morning starts. Late Night shifts.

The drive into the main city was quiet.

 Maryam was super sleepy and kept her head resting against the glass of the car window. I sat in the middle of the backseat and kept absently staring at the view outside. The change from the dirty grounds to the rich city life was extremely spectacular. My nerves were playing in. And with the morning sun still to rise fully up in the sky, I was wondering how my first working day would go. So many fears, issues and imaginations. 

The anxiety was so real. 

After so long, I was going to do something new and try to move on from my past. This was my leap, and it had me so tangled. Curling my fingers and feeling slightly better since last night's hit of extreme depression, I kept staring at the tall building before me with a thoughtful look and wondered when I would make some space for myself here. 

Soon, our taxi stopped before an extremely tall and metallic building. 

'Kingston Incorporation'

"Maryam, wake up!" I elbowed Maryam, with my eyes widen in awkwardness, as the gruff taxi driver simply pushed an empty tuna can towards us. 

"Cash!"

"We are from the labourers' town. Our fares have been taken care of," Maryam groggily spoke, rubbing her eyes and sitting up straight.

"Okay." The man wasn't really happy with our response. 

Quickly, before he chewed out more of his random mood swings, I pulled Maryam along and stepped out of the vehicle. The man immediately drove his taxi away. Slight shivers ran up my spine. That experience was oddly frightening and uncomfortable. 

Momentarily looking around and wondering if anyone saw this, I grimaced to notice a few bystanders eyeing in our direction. This was a working city. People, here, were already on the roads to head towards their workplaces. The click of stilettos, office boots, etc, and the smell of coffee were so profound in the air. 

"Let's go." Maryam grabbed my hand and pulled on it before I could get lost in the mayhem of the street noise. 

 "Course." Giving the tall building a once over, I gulped in lowly to calm my anxiety and started taking firm steps towards the building. 

***

The Kingston building was a rich, corporate building with its different floors dedicated to several work areas;  IT, Finance, Accounts, Marketing, HR, etc. They were so many departments on so many floors, with each floor too busy. Maryam and I didn't get to observe much before we were escorted by the ground floor's manager to the staff room. 

Just one lady was sitting on a brown couch placed in the middle of the staff room. There were brooms, bowls, over-flowing cupboards, a sharp stench of chlorine, floor-cleaning liquid, soap, water buckets and random files stuffed inside this place. Also, there were only two couches and a table set here, which meant either this place had been miser when hiring low-level labourers, or that the staff members just didn't get time to sit. 

The manager was a man in his forties and seemed to be of a foul temper. He stood before us with a stern stance, as he spewed out the instructions for us.