Matters

CORALINE POV:

"I feel like it does matter." 

"Oh? Really? Why?" She puts the painting back on the wall.

"Because everything else in this room changed except the kid." Wybie answers.

The beldam snaps her head towards him, finally looking away from me. She glares at him, well as much as she can with her button eyes.  I look back at the painting, how else could it be important?

"I guess you're right, but it has nothing to do with you." She huffs, then she turns away and walks to the bug couch. She sits down, crossing her legs, and leans forward to grab a box. 

She opens the box and takes out a baby bird? But it's made out of hard candy? What?? She looks up at us, then moves the box forward as if offering us some. 

"No," Wybie shakes his head.

"That is no way to treat your best friend's mother." 

"You are not her mother." Wybie raises his voice a little. 

"So, your son, where is he?" 

She turns her attention to me, staring at me. She doesn't say anything, just stares. Her mouth quirks up, she's smirking.

"Fine, I mean, it's not like I expected you to tell us." Her smirk drops at that. 

"You will have respect for your mother, young lady." 

"Well, you're not my mother." I snap. 

She stands, glaring. Beldam walks towards me, her heels clicking as she does. Wybie grabs my arm, looking at me with concern.

"You should learn some respect!" She grabs my hair, I let out a yelp. 

"OW!" I yell and Wybie punches her in the nose. She yells out in pain and lets go of my hair. I grab my head and Wybie turns to me with concern.

"Are you alright?" I nod, turning back to the beldam. 

"Let's figure out the kid then figure out the rest." He sighs and nods. I lead us out of the room and go to the other father's study. "What would that kid mean?"

Wybie shrugs, looking around. 

We're gonna die here. Oh my god, we're gonna die here. 

No! Do not think like that, Coraline!

"What are you two doing in here?" I jump at the sound of the other father's voice. He sounds a bit drowsy, like when I saw him last time before I got the eyes.

I turn around, he doesn't look very pumpkin-y this time, that's good. 

"Just," I don't know what to say,"  hanging out." Really that's the best I could come up with.

"I need to do some work, so could you please go?" I nod and drag Wybie out. 

I lead Wybie up the stairs and to "my" room.  I sit on a chest and think about the painting. 

How is that kid significant? He has to matter somehow... right? This isn't just a dead end. This can't be. 

"What happened to her son?" 

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well," he paused, "did she take his soul? Or did he die some other way? Is he still alive?" He moves his hand forward then back with each question. 

"Well, Jefferey... wasn't mentioned before." 

"So, we've hit another dead end." He huffs, leaning against the bedpost behind us.

"Just temporarily." The cat jumps through the window.

"Hello." I pet his chin. He purrs slightly then turns to Wybie.

"Jefferey is no longer alive, he died shortly after than painting." 

"How?" I sit up more.

"Well, not looking while running and there is a well nearby is an awful way for your child to die."

"That's why she doesn't have the well here!" I exclaim.

"And why does this matter?"