Oh Kids

CORALINE POV:

"Cora, look at the thing you picked up." I nod and grab it out of my pocket.

I look at it, then try to pry it open. It won't budge. I look up at Wybie, he takes it and tries as well. I put my hands in my pockets... the keys! I take the locket and look around the edges, a keyhole. I fish out the keys, trying each one of them, and none of them work.

I look back up and shake my head. He sighs, "Of course, it won't work for us." 

I look back up the moon, we are running out of time, what can we do?

"Can you think of another way to open it?" I ask. He shakes his head. I sigh, looking around us. I put a hand in my hair, accidentally pushing a bobby-pin into my scalp. Why do I still have a bobby-pin in? Wait...

"What are you thinking? I see the wheels turning in your head." I snap my head to Wybie.

"I can, maybe, pick the lock?" I take the bobby-pin out and put it in the keyhole. 

"It worked!" Wybie smiles as the locket opens. I look at what's inside, a drawing of the boy in that painting above the fireplace? "Who's that?"

"I don't know." 

"That's her son." The cat answers.

"What?!" 

"Her son." 

"Since when did she have a kid?!" Wybie exclaims.

"How do you think she puts up such a good mother act?" That's actually a good point. 

I sigh and look towards Wybie again. 

"Let's go to the living room then." 

We go back into the house and walk towards that room. The Other-Father is back inside, he's walking back to his study. Wybie looks at me and raises an eyebrow. I shrug and we make it to the door. 

Wybie opens the door and I walk in, him following me. I walk towards the fireplace and look at the painting. 

"Do you ever think of having kids in the future, Cora?" Only with you. Woah, I'm only 18.

"Yeah, maybe."

"How many?"

"Two? Three." I shrug. "Back to the painting, why is it important?"

"This has to be helpful somehow... right?" Wybie reaches up and gets it off the wall. We turn it around and look at it. 

JEFFERY 10 YEARS OLD - 10TH BIRTHDAY

Wybie turns to me, I shrug. 

"What are you doing?!" I jump and turn around, facing the other mother. 

"You had a son?" I stall.

"Give me that!" She reaches, but Wybie moves back. 

"Your son?" I get back to my task.

"He does not matter."