Chapter 23 - Reunions & Parties

"Why are you here?" I asked when he pulled away, both of us out of breath.

"I had to see you love, before all of the craziness happens." he muttered pressing his face against my neck, his hands tight around my legs.

"What can I say to make this stop? There has to be something, it's not too late." I said, taking his face in my hands. "Please . . . for me . . . for us."

"I'm so sorry love, for putting you in the middle of this. I can't stop. What can I say to keep you away from this? There's no way for me to know if you're okay and Jakande is out for blood." he asked.

"I can't Deckard, they need me."

"I need you! I need you to survive this, even if you hate me." he growled.

"I could never hate you, no matter how much I want to. Please stop this." I pleaded, feeling the tears falling.

"Kaylee . . . I've missed you so much." he said, pressing his lips to mine again.

"Then don't leave, damn you." I growled.

"If I could, I'd stay by your side forever." he replied, groaning when I started kissing his neck. "Kaylee . . ."

"Tell me no. Tell me you don't want this, don't want me. Tell me to stop." I whispered, pulling his shirt out of his pants.

"You know I can't." he said, turning and laying both of us on the sofa.

"Touch me Dex, make love to me one last time." I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and knowing in my heart that this will be our last time.

He was so tender and soft, so loving that it made me cry again. He brought me to highs I had never experienced before even with him. I held on as long as I could, as hard as I could. This is too hard, letting go, letting him walk away. My anger has all but dissipated and all that's left is the pain of losing him even though he's right in my arms. The pain of knowing that we're over.

"I have to go." he muttered some time later.

Dex brought us upstairs, said a sofa wasn't the place for him to love me. I sat up when he did, wrapping the blanket around me. My dignity? Gone! All because I love a man I shouldn't, this love thing really isn't for me. I should've learned that a long time ago.

"Dex . . . stay. We'll leave together and get lost again, please stay. Stop this." I pleaded with him.

"The most tempting offer I've ever received but I gave my word to my brother, love. I have to keep that promise. You more than anyone can understand the weight of a promise to family." he said, turning to look at me.

I turned away when he tried to caress my cheek and he sighed. When I turned back, he grabbed me by the back of my neck and pulled me in for another kiss. I melted against him and mentally berated myself for the weakness.

"I love you Kaylee Cortez, I hope you can forgive me sometime soon. I will do my best to contact you after this blows over, hopefully you'll answer." he said, kissing my forehead before leaving.

As I got dressed again after he walked out I couldn't help but think about today. Not knowing how tonight is going to end or if I'll ever see him again, it broke something. Got rid of all of the anger that I was storing up and just broke what was left of my heart. I dropped to the floor as the sobs wracked through my body.

Someone is going to die tonight and I can't do anything to stop it. I'm going to lose someone that I love by my own choice. I chose to walk away from Dex and I chose to stay with Dom and the team. There's no one to blame but myself. After a few minutes someone picked me up from the ground and brought me back downstairs to the living room. I know that his intent is to comfort but this panic that's rooted deep in my heart isn't going to go away with a hug.