Chapter 22 - Home & Hurt

When the gunfire and explosions started I jumped into the first SUV and found the clothes that Brian mentioned. Dom must've gone through my bag because I pulled out a pair of slightly ripped jeans, a gray sports bra, and cropped hoodie, with a pair of grey sneakers.

What the hell did we get involved with? What the hell is all of this mess? Why the fuck am I always the dumb one in the fucking middle? As I changed, the dam broke and the tears just poured out. I broke down in the car. As much as I would like to just take off, I can't. That's my family in there and . . .

"Oh shit." I muttered, turning the SUV on as soon as I saw the three silhouettes coming out of the building.

Am I surprised that only three came out? Not at all but I am scared, where are the others?

"Hurry up!" I shouted, opening the back passenger door for Dom who was carrying Mr. Nobody.

The first about 20 minutes were in silence. Nobody was just laying there with his head back but I could see his chest moving in the mirror, so I know he's alive. I'm guessing Dom couldn't take the silence from Mr. Nobody so he ripped open his shirt to look for the wound.

"You didn't really think I was gonna walk in there naked did you?" Mr. Nobody asked with a wheezing smirk.

"You still got hit bad." I said, knowing the possible damage.

"Kaylee, I know this wasn't easy for you. Thank you." he said.

"I did what was right, what I had to do."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make it any easier." Brian said, rubbing my shoulder.

"Dom, what . . . where . . . is he . . ."

"He got away." he quickly replied.

"Oh, okay." I said, feeling guilty for the relief that flooded my system.

I'm mad at him, I'm so fucking mad at him. I also am madly in love with him, I don't want him to die. How much of a hypocrite does that make me?

"Look Toretto, I know you won't listen to me." Nobody started.

"He doesn't listen to anyone, trust me." I said as I drove down the road.

"Right, listen man, I know you're not gonna want to hear what I have to say but the truth is . . . you really oughta try that Belgian ale, man. It's something special." Nobody said with a chuckle.

I'll admit it, he made me laugh a little. I was expecting some schpiel about how we should stop what we're doing or about how careful we have to be. This man is definitely a special specimen and there are none like him.

"Belgian ale, huh?" Dom asked with a chuckle as well.

Mr. Nobody suddenly started to groan and wheeze, coughing and doubling over in pain. There was nothing I could do from the front seat so Dom quickly applied some pressure to his wound and looked over at me. I stepped on the gas and floored it.

"We've gotta get you to a hospital man." Brian said from the front passenger seat.

"No you're not, I carry my own health insurance kid. SOCM medics are on standby, they're already inbound. Pull over kid, Dom, you've got to protect Ramsey. As long as she's alive she can lock them out of God's Eye and they know that. Which means they're not gonna stop coming until they've got her and this time when they come, they're gonna come with everything they've got." he rebutted.

"And we're bringing everything that we got but I'm not leaving you in the middle of nowhere." I argued, stopping the car.

"You're not, I'm leaving you. Go now Dom, take care of this and of her." he told us as the chopper came into view.