Chapter 19

THANKS FOR 1K VIEWS :oooo

I made my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and i'm homebound denenenenenenene

When I got to the subway entrance, I headed down to find the hallways where things were controlled.

It was pretty gross and musty down there, and pretty busy as well. I walked along the walls searching for a door or something. I finally found a big metal door and pushed it open. It was locked as I assumed, so I just picked it.

Inside, it was super dark, most of the lights were burned out, so I pulled out my flashlight and inspected the area. Nothing seemed overly suspicious until I came upon a door-shaped crack in the stone walls. Wow, so hidden. I felt around it and eventually found a button that made the door automatically open. These people weren't very good at hiding.

Inside there were a few tables and chairs, and a radio. A few people were there either playing cards or listening to the radio.

When they saw me, they all froze or stood up defensively.

"Kyoko Kirigiri, Ultimate Detective," I stated, holding out my badge.

"What do you want?" One man asked.

"First of all," I said, "wasn't this place banned?"

"We can still play cards, can't we?" Asked another.

"Yeah, it's not like we're the UDG."

I just stared in disbelief for a second before asking, "Does anyone know of the whereabouts of Steve Crolly?"

The men froze and glanced at each other.

"Trust me," I said. "You'll be helping with whatever information you have."

I permitted the men to leave once they promised to not come back until one man was left.

"Do you have something for me?" I asked, praying he'd help.

"Well, I haven't seen Steve in a while, not since we were all broken up," he said. "But I'm friends with people who have. They told me he was planning on getting back at people who caused his downfall."

Celeste.

"Do you know anyone who'd know where he is?" I asked, packing my briefcase.

The man wrote some things down on a piece of paper he found and handed it to me. I looked at him meaningfully.

"Thank you," I said. "This really means a lot."

The man nodded before leaving with a ducked head.

I analyzed the new information and set off to the new address.

I arrived in a sketchy-looking neighborhood and went up to the address. The porch had holes in it and the roof was sagging. I patted my jacket to make sure the knife I kept there was still there before knocking.

"Hello?" A guy drawled, obviously drunk, as he opened the door.

"Kyoko Kirigiri, Ultimate Detective," I routinely stated with my badge shown.

"Whadya want?" He asked.

"I need to know what you know about Steve Crolly," I said seriously.

The man froze for a second before saying, "Why do you think I know that guy?"

"I got tipped," I replied.

The man growled. "It wasn't that damn Joe, I'll beat him."

I sighed. "Either way, I need to know where he is."

"Why would I tell you?" He sneered.

"Listen," I said, lowering my voice. "You don't need to get in any trouble at all. I won't turn you in if you just tell me where he is."

The man scratched his head as he leaned on the doorframe. "So that's what I get out of this?"

"Yeah," I said. "Or I can take you in to be fully questioned."

"Fine," he grumbled. He started saying some more addresses and names, not really getting to the point. I was getting really frustrated. Celeste could be in danger right now.

"Just tell me where he is, dammit!" I shouted. I took a deep breath before rephrasing, "I need to know where he is."

The man looked at me with a face of amusement before handing me a single address.

"Now get out of here, kid," he growled before slamming the door. If this is another dead end, I will not be happy.

For what seemed like the thousandth time that day, I set off to find yet another address.

This time I ended up at a literal shed. Like, it wasn't big enough for someone to actually live in, let alone have an actual address. I went up to the wooden door that was basically falling off it's hinges and pulled it open.

As I did that, a long staircase was revealed to the ground. It didn't look sturdy at all, but I guessed it'd be fine because it was leaning on the ground.

I took a deep breath and started making my way down, carefully and quietly. This is all for Celeste.

As soon as I got to the bottom, it was a dirt hallway leading to 2 doors. I peeked through a crack in one of them.

I saw Celeste.

i didn't proofread this so