Chapter 15

Celeste's POV

Kyoko and I's 2 year anniversary was in 3 days, and I was freaking out. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but I was very flustered and struggling to carry it out.

I decided to get the help of Sonia Nevermind, Kyoko and I's friend.

I walked down the hall to her room and knocked politely.

"Hello?" Sonia said as she opened the door. "Oh! Hello Celeste."

She opened the door and beckoned for me to come in.

"Is there something you need?"

"Well, yes," I said. "Kyoko and I's anniversary is in 2 days and I need your help to make it perfect."

"Oh my!" Sonia exclaimed. "That's very exciting. Of course, I'll help! What did you have in mind?"

A few hours later, Sonia and I were sitting on her bed, notebooks out, deep in conversation.

"I think our planning is going well," Sonia said.

I think my idea was pretty good. It was unlike anything we'd ever really done before, and I think it would surprise Kyoko.

Later, Kyoko and I were walking to dinner together.

"So, our anniversary is in two days," I casually mentioned.

"Oh yeah," Kyoko said. "Planning anything?" She smirked.

"Maybe," I smiled.

~~~

The next day, Sonia and I were in the big hall, having snuck in after hours. It was beautiful, with numerous designs on the walls and a glass ceiling

"Alright, I'll get the ladder and put the sheets up," Sonia yelled from the other side of the hall.

"Ok," I shouted back. "I'm going to move some tables and set some things up."

After we were done, the hall looked amazing. I had Kaede record some piano music, and Angie made some candles, which I loved.

Tomorrow was going to be great.

~~~

In the morning, I woke up to Kyoko cuddling me again. That was my favorite thing to wake up to. I decided to close my eyes for a little bit longer to cherish this feeling.

When I woke up again, Kyoko had gotten us breakfast. Sometimes they had these croissant things, and I loved them. Sadly, they were only there rarely.

"Look what I got," Kyoko said, setting some on a plate.

I smiled and said my thanks, eating them fast.

"So, what are we doing today?" Kyoko asked, eating some croissants herself.

"I don't know, maybe go to town and get tea or something," I said. My plan was to keep my surprise a secret.

"Alright," Kyoko said. "I have a gift for you later."

"As do I."

Around 2 pm, Kyoko and I were walking in a cute little town nearby, hand in gloved hand.

"Let's go in here," Kyoko said, pulling me along. She was acting cute today, leading me around and actually being affectionate.

We sat at a small table for two next to a big window.

"What would you like?" I asked.

"I can pay," Kyoko said.

"No, no, I am definitely going to," I insisted. Kyoko huffed with a smile and said she wants to share a milkshake.

"Wow, darling, you're being very affectionate today," I teased.

"I'm just very happy," Kyoko said, "that I have you."

We finished our milkshake and continued our walk. At sunset, we arrived at a cliff over some water.

"Well, this is convenient," I observed.

"It's very pretty," Kyoko said as she looked around. I nodded.

"So," she said. "I wanted to tell you about something."

"Oh?" I said. I was genuinely curious as Kyoko doesn't say things like this often.

"Have you ever seen my hands without their gloves?"

I thought about it. We hold hands a lot, but it's always with the gloves. I guess I just got used to them.

"I don't think so," I concluded.

"Well, I wanted to tell you why I wear them." I nodded and sat down on the bench, pulling her with me.

"I'm ready to listen."

Kyoko explained to me that when she was a very inexperienced detective, she was trying to solve a mystery and it led her and her partner to a building, which exploded. She tried to save her friend, but she couldn't and all she got were her ugly burn marks. hi so idk if that's exactly how the story goes bc I haven't read the kirigiri books but that's all I bothered to read so

"I don't think they're ugly," I said. And I truly meant it. Everything about her was beautiful to me.

"Thanks," Kyoko sighed. "I don't really like them, but I just thought you should know."

I took her hands and put them to my face. I leaned in and kissed Kyoko. Kyoko kissed back before hugging me.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too, darling," I responded.

We pulled apart and I said, "It's time for my surprise."