Chapter 18: Reunion

"Arisa?"

She looks up to his eyes, meeting them. They both pause and just...look. Frozen in the moment, not able to move. I look into both of their eyes, how differently they looked just a second ago.

"Huh...?"

I see the faint memories behind Arisa's eyes. The happiness, the sadness, the feelings. The joy of making a first friend, and the sadness of losing them when you needed them the most. The hidden feelings that were buried deep inside her, and the utter surprise of reliving them in that moment.

I'm quickly whipped back to reality as Arisa steps back, eyes wide.

Arisa: "No...no way...right? You're..... (Y/N)?", she says, tears forming in her eyes.

(Y/N) stays silent, still stunned. He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. Arisa looks back at him with shaky legs, almost overcome with emotion.

Arisa: "You...! You.....!!!!"

..huh?

I blink, and Arisa is nowhere to be seen. I quickly turn to the others and I spot her in the corner of my eye, running away from us. My legs instinctively tense up, and without saying a word, the rest of us start running after her. I roughly grab (Y/N)'s arm, pulling him to come with us. He blinks then begins to run.

...

As I run everything around me just blurs. Passing cars, buildings, even other people. I try to ignore my stinging arm as I continue running. I don't recognize where I'm going, the roads, the stores, but I continue running. As I stop for a second, I notice that I'm far ahead of the other girls, who are behind me.

I look ahead and notice the running figure suddenly turn left off the sidewalk. A park..?

Without thinking I continue to run, turning left into the park that she ran into. I run into the park, getting closer and closer by the second. I see her slowing down, tired from the running. I get closer and closer.

...?!

Those are...stairs?!

I look as Arisa continues to run despite the large flight of stairs in front of her. A burst of energy goes through my legs as I dash to her, closely approaching the stairs.

...THERE!

(Y/N): "ARISA!!!"

...

...

"Oh, is this Miss (L/N)? Yes, we wanted to call you regarding the recital."

"...I wanted to ask if there was any particular reason that (Y/N) missed the attendance. Your family were the only ones who didn't come."

"...withdrawing classes? I...see. Well, you'll have talk with the main teachers. I'll get them on the phone."

...

I put arm out and manage to grab her hand. I pull her arm back, pulling her towards me. As I put my other hand on her back my legs finally give out, making me fall backwards onto my butt. I pull Arisa closer to try to protect her from the fall.

*Thud!*

I grit my teeth, feeling the aching of my legs. I open my eyes, seeing Arisa in my arms. She keeps her eyes shut.

(Y/N): "Ichigaya-san..? Are you okay?"

Arisa: "..."

She stays still, looking down at the ground. I can't see her face.