XXXII

Having Onyx had to be one of the best things I've ever owned.

He was the sweetest little thing, always wanting to cuddle. Although the little shit chewed through my Nikes and ripped apart my garbage, I still adored him.

I made sure to constantly take him out to avoid as many accidents as possible and Natalie thankfully agrees to watch him when she doesn't have school.

Carmen's been practically living at my house, wanting as much time with Onyx as possible and even my mom and dad have been helping me with him.

Jesse visited twice and I still couldn't believe he bought me a puppy.

Jesse had to go to Mexico to cook, he didn't dive into much detail and I didn't want to spend my time with him talking about it. It only made me sad — we were at a weird distance in our relationship and I hated it. 

Once he returned, he came by to see Onyx again. We were planning on taking him to the park and letting him sniff around and we began getting ready to do so. 

"We can go for a smoke while I let Nix out.. I don't want him to take a dump in my car." I said as I walked down the stairs with Onyx in my hand, Jesse following close behind me.

"My cigarettes are on your kitchen counter here, let me grab them," Jesse said and we entered the kitchen to find Natalie unconscious on the ground.

I put down Onyx quickly and called her name, "Natalie!"

"Natalie," I repeated and dropped to my knees, shaking her. "Fuck she's right out."

"Here... I'll call an ambulance," Jesse said and yanked the home phone off the counter, fumbling with the buttons and calling 911.

I used my fingers to feel her neck, there was a pulse. Thank god. My nerves were shot at the possibility of what caused her to lose consciousness. 

-

"It's like she's got the flu but it just keeps getting worse— they don't know." My mother said as Jesse and I sat in the ER room with her and my dad.

"I don't understand." I said biting at my nails nervously, "S-she was fine this morning."

"They're going to run more tests, why don't both of you head home and get some sleep?" My father suggested but I shook my head no. I wasn't leaving Natalie like that. 

"Would you like to step outside for a minute with me?" Jesse asked.

"That's a good idea, hunny." My mom said, putting on a fake smile.

I stood up and followed Jesse outside where he grabbed a cigarette, "Want one?"

"Sure," I said, hoping it would calm my nerves slightly.

He handed me one and I watched him staring at his carton.

"Can I have a lighter?" I asked him and he went and grabbed the cigarette out of my mouth and crushed, "What the fuck is your deal—"

He dropped to the ground, crushing the remaining few he had, "No, No, No!"

I dropped to the ground with him, so confused. "Jess—" I grabbed his hand and written on his face was nothing but fear, "Come now." He demanded and we both got up and ran inside, abandoning his cigarettes and lighter on the ground.

"Laura!" Jesse called out, nearly hitting everyone in his path, "Laura!"

"Jesse, tell me what's wrong?" I asked frantically.

"Hey you cannot be yelling in here." A nurse said and I apologized before following Jesse back into the waiting room my mom and dad were in.

"What's wrong?" Both my father and mom asked.