Chapter One

I'm listening to music and walking home from the underground stop to my house. We just moved here yesterday. Was it turn left or right at this crossing? I look at the street and nothing looks like the road I walked this morning to the underground. Panic breaks out in my head, it's already getting dark and I have the skills to get lost in London. I pull up the zipper of my jacket a bit higher and fasten my walking speed. I take a left and look a little down at the side walk. Gosh I'm so scared in the dark.

A group of boys my age start whistling and shouting things at me when I'm passing them on the street. I ignore it and start walking a little faster. I hear their footsteps and laughter follow me, so I start running and scanning for a hiding spot. I take a right and a left, I run as fast as my legs can carry me. Out of nothing I run into a person and fall backwards. "I'm so sorry" I mumble while getting up again. The person I run into extents his hand to me to pull me up. "I wasn't paying attention either" he says with a low voice. I hear the boys come closer again, I apparently look frightened. "Come on, I live a few houses away from here. I'll get my car and drive you home" He says pulling my arm. "Thank you" I say and my voice is high pitched with fear.

"Why where you running from them?" he asks when I've fastened my seatbelt. "Because they were shouting nasty things to me when I passed them by" I say looking at my trembling hands. "The bastards" he mumbles very soft. The engine roars to live and he drives toward the crossing where I lost my way. "So where do you live?" he asks. "Brent Cross" I reply. I look up to see his face, acknowledging I've been looking down the entire time. I see the lights of other cars shine light on his face, he looks sweet but frustrated at the same time. I decide not to ask about what is bothering him. "Thank you for doing this." I say softly and see him giving me a look. His face is confused yet smiling at the same time. "No problem, you're the kind of girl that will need a little more protection" he says giving me a playful wink. I feel a little embarrassed because I don't want him to know I'm scared of walking in the dark alone. I swallow and blink a lot of times to fight the tears. "Why does it upset you?" he asks looking straight forward not even at me. "I'm not helpless, I can take care of myself!" I say and it sounds way more mean than I hoped it to sound. "I know, but still you're a woman and needs to be taken care of. I wouldn't want any girl to get hurt when they're walking in the dark alone" he replies driving into the street I live in. I point at the driveway and he stops before it. "Thank you." I say while opening the seat belt and the door. "Stay out of trouble" he says laughing and gives me a wink. I look down at my shoes and turn around and run to my front door.