10: 𝔗ormented.

𝔅ombshell, ten—tormented

✷        ·
  ˚ * .
     *   * ⋆   .
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

"I promised her I'd do my best to save the baby. I'm not planning on breaking that promise anytime soon."

Ninkri's lips curled up into a commendable grin, nodding to acknowledge the Mandalorian's words. Her gaze dropped down towards the Child still placed on her lap, his little claws clutching onto the fabric of her shirt as he played around with the material. There was a brief moment of silence as she comprehended everything Din had explained to her — about your capture, the Empire, the queen, the syringe, everything. Then, her eyes lifted to face him as he stood idly besides the ladder that led downstairs. "I'm sure she appreciates that. But... you've got to prepare yourself, Mandalorian. Just in case. I'm sure she's already done so herself."

Truthfully, Din wasn't at all prepared for that. This entire time, he'd been desperately holding onto that delicately thin thread of hope that a solution could be found. That Din could manage to salvage what he had quickly grown to care about these past couple of weeks. The baby he promised to save. The fact that he could possibly lose this unborn child was unfathomable. He couldn't imagine the pain it would cause you. He couldn't allow that to happen. He couldn't simply give up, not yet. There was still the slightest of chance, and he was hell-bent on taking advantage of it.

"You should get some rest. I'll handle the Child."

The suggestion broke him out of his suffocating thoughts. It'd been a while since he's gotten true rest, so the idea sounded great. "Are you sure?"

"I'm completely certain," she bobbed her head in affirmation. "Besides, the princess needs you now."

 With her approval, he swiftly dismissed himself and descended towards the hull of the ship. As soon as he arrived at his bunk, he caught sight of your sleeping form, laying peacefully in the compact cot. Though it seemed like the thought of grabbing a blanket to keep you warm hadn't crossed your mind, likely due to your exhaustion. He stepped back, taking a moment to remove the entirety of his armor — the helmet being an exception — before acquiring one of the multiple blankets he had scattered around the ship. Then, he made his way back to the compartment and carefully draped the covering over your body. Your hands involuntarily clutched onto the blanket in your slumber, pulling it closer to yourself  to immerse yourself in its warmth, before briefly returning to your deep sleep, completely unmoving.

Before he decided to climb in with you, he made sure to switch all the lights off. Next he removed the beskar helm concealing his face, setting it down on a crate nearby the cockpit's ladder, in case Ninkri were to sometime walk in while he slept. Only then did he allow himself his well-deserved rest — crawling into the bunk, shutting its door closed, planting a chaste kiss on your forehead, lovingly wrapping his arms around you and drawing you closer to him, before finally falling asleep.