28

Penny's eyes opened to the sound of Bruce groaning. Suddenly all she could feel was pain emitting from her back and limbs. The weight of the debris felt like it should've been crushing her, but it wasn't, sure it was heavy, but nothing she couldn't handle without concentration. Penny gasped in pain and readjusted herself over Bruce. It's a very awkward position. Penny scrunched her face as she lifted herself off him as much as she could go, it was only a few inches though. 

Bruce slowly opened his eyes, and what he saw was unexpected. He and Penny are alive, but how? Last thing he remembers is the ceiling was crumbling and falling on top of him. Now here he lays in, under all that rubble with Penny on top of him. How in the world were the two of them not crushed and killed instantly?

"Penny?" Bruce gasped.

Penny's eyes snapped to Bruce's, and all she sees is surprise written on his face. She was going to tell him on her own time, and now she has to tell him and he may not be ready. He may react poorly, and Penny's scared. She doesn't want to tell him, but she has to. 

Before she has the chance to say something, she hears something. It sounds like fighting. Her head snaps to the side and she listens for a moment.

"Sounds like fighting," Penny whispers to herself. 

"What? Fighting? Ho-how are we alive?"

Penny looks back at Bruce, she tears up slightly with worry. Worry that he won't accept her. Penny releases a shaky breath and looks back at Bruce, "I was going to tell you, this is what I was going to tell you tomorrow."

"Tell me what?"

"Bruce, I- I have powers."

"You have powers... that's how we're alive?"

"Yes, and I know that you're Batman. But I- I promise to explain everything later when we get out of this... Just promise me that you'll listen a-and won't... won't..."

Bruce cuts her off, "I promise."

Penny nods her head, and takes a deep breath, "Here we go." Penny presses her back against the top of the rubble, and quickly readjusts her body so she's crouching over Bruce with her hands pressed up against the rubble, taking the weight off her back. She takes in a few deep breaths and starts lifting her body and arms.  

... 

A large cloud of dust fell over everyone in the room, as the crumbled ceiling piled up over the father daughter pair, and in that moment of cover the heroes changed into their costumes and made is appear as if they had taken that distraction to save the rest of the guests and come to take down the Joker.

The only ones who weren't there were the Bat boys (since the don't have time to change), Batman (obviously), and any other member of the Justice or Young Justice league that don't have the ability to change into their costumes in under a minute.

As the dust cloud began to settle, the Justice League took action. They fought the Joker and his men. 

It ended quickly.

The League took the Joker and his mean outside to the police, and began to check on the wounded. The only ones who remained inside Wayne manor are Wonder Woman, and Superman. They are the two who are tasked with lifting the rubble, to see if Bruce and Penny are alive or not. The bat boys (not in costume)  and Alfred all run back into the manor (against police advisement). They need to see if their father and sister are ok, the worry is slowly tearing away at them, and they need to know. 

Before Superman could move to lift the rubble, it began to shift. Everyone's eyes widened as they watched. 

The rubble shifted, pieces on top and around a large slab of ceiling tumble to the ground, and slowly begins to lift off the ground. Everyone watches in awe as they see the slab lift off the ground, with Penny being the one to be lifting it.

... 

Penny slowly began to lift the rubble off of them, and slowly began to stand straight. Bruce watched with awe and surprise as he watched the girl he saw as a daughter lift a slab of ceiling that weighed about a ton. Penny grunted as she used all of her strength to save them. 

Time seemed to go on forever, but then, suddenly she was standing straight with her arms and slab above her head. Penny bent her arms and threw the slab to the side of the room where she knows no one is standing. 

As the slab landed with a loud bang Penny took Bruce's hand and lifted him to his feet.

She then looked around the room and took in everyone's surprised faces. Penny slowly lifted her hand and shyly waved, "Surprise?"

A/N: Sorry that it took me so long to update, I've been focused on studying for the SAT's and working on a school portfolio. I will try my best to update another chapter soon! Enjoy!