27

Seeing the Joker in person caused Penny to feel as though her heart stopped. But hearing his laugh made it all so much worse. 

He laughed, "Alright, ladies and gentlemen, my men who are stationed around the room are going to come to each and every one of you one by one. This is what you're going to do... you're going to give them your jewelry and cash. If you don't give them enough, they're going to kill you. Sound fun?" 

Penny's heart felt like it was all the way across the room, her head was dizzy, her spider sense was going haywire, and her fear was skyrocketing. 

As the men went around the room, some shots were heard, but overall the main sound was crying, and the Joker's insane laugh. He walked around swinging his gun, and occasionally pointed it at someone before yelling boom. Each time he did, Penny, who was frozen, would flinch.

Then suddenly everything changed. She's not to sure about how it started or even how anyone was able to do anything, but suddenly everyone was screaming and running around. She was as guests broke windows and doors to get out, and a lot of the guests were able to escape, but the ones that were left in the room ended up being the injured, the dead, Penny, and what seemed to be to the Young and Old Justice League. 

How convenient. 

But the escape was quickly nullified, as all of them had quickly had guns to their heads, even Penny herself. This made her freeze even more. Although she's seen a lot of shit in her lifetime, nothing like this has ever happened to her before, and it scares her. Penny saw how Bruce and the boys reacted to having a gun placed to her head, and the Joker noticed too. He laughed maniacally and walked up to her. 

"Does this pretty little thing mean something to you, Brucey?"

The Wayne's all reacted badly to this and in response, not breaking eye contact with Bruce, the Joker grabbed her chin and whispered into her ear.

"Don't worry sweetheart, after I crush Bruce Wayne, I'll still have time for you."

Penny tensed up, and tears began to fall from her eyes. This lunatic was going to kill Bruce, and then do stuff to her. Even though she's surrounded by heroes, and even has powers herself, she feels alone, and defenseless. She feels as though he's going to win, and that cannot happen. Penny looked over to Bruce and wished that she had different powers, she wished that there was some way for her to tell Bruce about what he said, without everyone hearing. 

Batman needs to know, and they need the heroes to stop the Joker... but they can't do anything since the Joker would know their secret identities. 

The Joker roughly let got of her and tossed her to the ground. He laughed once more, and made his way over to Bruce. It didn't take long for him to reach Bruce, but Penny watched from the floor as the Joker walked passed him. Confusion fell over her. He said that he was going to kill him, so why didn't he? Penny watched as the Joker raised his comically large gun to the ceiling, and that's when Penny realized what he was about to do. The Joker didn't say he was going to kill Bruce, he said he was going to crush him. Penny's eyes widened at the sound of the gun, and in a split second, without even thinking, she was up on her feet, and running towards her father figure. 

Whatever the Joker shot, made contact with the ceiling, causing it to crumble, and fall towards the floor, right towards Bruce. 

Penny saw him and everyone around him flinch, but nothing could be done. There is no time, and it seems that even the speedsters in the room could react faster than her.

Penny knows that if those pieces hits Bruce he'll die, he'll be crushed exactly as the Joker said, but if the pieces of the ceiling hits her, the two of them will survive. Bruce has no time to react, but she's already running, knowing exactly what she has to do. So Penny ran towards him, and tackled him to the ground just as it was about to hit him. So instead it hit Penny who was safely shielding Bruce.

As a large cloud of dust fell over everyone in the room, as the crumbled ceiling piled up over the father daughter pair, everything for Penny and Bruce went black.

A/N- sorry for the long wait, and the short chapter. But I wanted to leave you in some suspense. Don't worry though, I'll have the next chapter out very soon! I wouldn't want to have to wait too long if I were you, so you wont have to.