Chapter 7 - Safe and Sound

TRIGGER WARNING: VIOLENCE, SEXUAL HARAASSMENT, AND MENTIONS OF RAPE. 

Chapter 7

After several cries and pushes later, a baby girl came out crying. Usually a good sign, but in this case it wasn't.

"Congratulations Mrs. Brown, it's a girl!" The Doctor smiled at the exhausted Asian woman, "What are you going to name her?"

The Asian woman's eyes widened, "No, no, no. He doesn't want a girl. It's supposed to be a boy,  Dr. Smith! I was so sure it was a boy!" 

"But you have a healthy little girl..." The Dr. Smith spoke confused. 

"I don't want it!" The Mrs. Brown yelled, "Take her away! Tell him the baby didn't make it!"

"How about we talk this over tomorrow morning. You should get some rest before you make any rash decisions! We'll take the baby for her check up. She'll be back soon okay?" Dr. Smith spoke softly before calling a nurse over to keep a close eye on the newborn baby. She found it odd that the husband wasn't with his wife during labor. Mrs. Brown had revealed that he was out of town and couldn't make it. However, the next morning, the husband of the wife came and stormed up to Dr. Smith and told her of their plans.

"My wife and I will not be keeping it. We wanted a boy!"

"Are you putting your daughter up for adoption?" Dr. Smith replied. 

"Do whatever the hell you want with it, it's not coming home with us." He spoke, harshly.

"You should've plan-"

"Don't tell me what I should've done!" He interrupted, "When can my wife leave?"

She clenched her jaw, "She needs to be here at least three days before she can get discharged."

The man sighed as if her response was an inconvenience before turning to leave, but she called him back.

"You'll need to sign the adoption forms."

"Well bring them to me." He hissed.

She walked away quickly, grumbling profanities under her breath and grabbed the forms. She quickly made her way into the room and gave the man the forms as he proceeded to fill it out. She glanced at the wife and saw that her eyes were on the baby.

"Are you sure you want to give her up?" She whispered to Mrs. Brown, "You haven't even named her."

Mrs. Brown opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by her husband, "Of course we do! Our decision is final! Name her whatever the hell you want, I couldn't care less."

Dr. Smith sighed, "Are the forms completely filled?"

"Yeah." He grumbled, "Take her away now. I don't want to see her. We don't want to be involved in her life, and I couldn't care less where she ends up."

She nodded, grabbed the forms, and stuffed them inside her lab coat, before grabbing the baby who began to cry.

"You're going to be fine, little one." Dr. Smith cooed, "You look like an Amanda, do you like that?"

The baby stopped crying and tried to reach out for the doctor's finger.

"I'm going to take that as a yes." She laughed, "You're a very pretty baby! That's going to be your name okay?"

The baby let out a noise and the doctor smiled. When they arrived at the nursery, she quickly placed the baby onto a crib and completed Amanda's birth certificate and adoption papers. She looked at the baby and saw her peacefully sleeping with the other babies.