Chapter 34

Lydia had one close call with death in her life. She was six and her father took her to a rental cottage for a mini vacation before heading back to school in the fall. She was swimming in the lake. Her father had warned her not to go past the rope because the current could sweep her away. Lydia, being foolish, thought he was overreacting so while he was looking away briefly to readjust his chair on the dock, Lydia swam past the rope. The current, although not terribly strong for an adult, was harsh on the six year old Lydia. She had gotten tired too quickly and gulped a huge chunk of water.

She didn't remember much after that, only the massive scolding she received from her father when she was well enough to take it.

Now, Lydia slept. Well, it didn't feel like sleeping because every so often she could hear what people were saying around her, yet she couldn't say anything herself.

She could hear Nathan, Audrey, and Jules visit her, Nathan trying to encourage Xander to go get some rest, have a shower, something, anything other than staying by Lydia’s side even if it meant driving him insane. She could also hear Xander bite her cousin's head off in response.

Kelly would stop by once a day, telling Lydia if she didn't wake up soon she would make good on her threat she presented Lydia with when she and her had gotten into a fight by buying Lydia’s business out from under her. Darian and his husband, Justin, had come as well. She didn't hear much of that visit, only Justin trying to comfort Darian and stop him from crying. Lastly, Rhia had come every day. She didn't make threats or cry, instead, she told Lydia about the shop. How many orders were being placed, how the trainee was an absolute moron, how she had officially graduated from her pastry arts program, simple, every day things.

Lydia liked her visits best.

One day, Lydia had no visitors, no one but Xander. He held her hand and if she could open her eyes, she suspected he looked as the last time she saw him, disheveled and a mess, but most likely worse.

"I once asked my grandfather how he knew my grandmother was the one," Xander said, rubbing small circles on the back of her hand. "He had this spark in his eye and he said, 'Xander, if you find yourself a woman, man, whoever, who not only puts up with your rotten attitude but can dish it back in tenfold, I will pay for the wedding myself.'" Xander chuckled sadly. "After that, he told me his real answer. He said he knew my grandmother was the love of his life when the thought of losing her outweighed every other fear he ever had in his life. He said losing her would be like losing his spirit."

"Going off my grandfather’s joke, I think I was starting to realize my feelings for you when you shoved me outside of Ed’s and called me an ass," he sighed. "But when I truly realized you were the one was when every single nightmare I had about losing Evan in that fire was replaced with losing you instead. They were they same exact dreams as before, but instead of Evan burning behind that wheel, it was you."

He squeezed her hand tightly. "I don't want that nightmare to come true. I need you to wake up. Please, Lydia. Please just wake up."

#

Lydia didn't know what day it was, how long it was since she had last been awake. Her eyes struggled to open, heavy with sleep, but after a couple of tentative blinks, she opened them fully.

She wasn't didn't have an oxygen mask as she did before going into surgery, just a simple tube in her nose. Her throat was dry so she didn't even bother trying to talk, instead, she squeezed Xander's hand tightly, waking him from his sleep.

His head snapped upwards, his bloodshot eyes finding Lydia’s open ones. He let out a sigh of relief with a mix of a sob. Standing from his seat beside her, he placed a kiss on her forehead. His usually clean shaven face has slight dark stubble, rubbing against Lydia's skin.

Before Lydia could attempt to say or do anything, Xander vanished out of the room but quickly returned with a nurse. He took his spot next to Lydia, holding her hand while the nurse read Lydia's chart.

"You've been in and out of consciousness for about four days, between the stress of the crash and the pain medication to help keep you comfortable, it's natural to sleep more than usual," she began. "You had some internal bleeding, hence the surgery, but the surgeon was able to stop it. Your leg has broken in two different spots--your ankle and knee. So you will have to stay off your feet for a couple of weeks."

The nurse continued to speak about the healing process and what to expect, as well as inform them that it wouldn't be until the next day they would be able to leave as they still needed to see the doctor to give their final approval.

When they were left alone, Lydia managed to say, "I'm sorry."

Xander stared at her, bewildered at her apology. She couldn't help but feel guilty of the state he was in. He hadn't shaved, his hair was an absolute mess, his eyes a bright red. He looked so different than his usual, calm and clean put together self. He sat on the bed, taking her face in his hands. "You have nothing to apologize for, angel. This is not your fault."

She grasped his hands that held her, feeling the crevices of his scars on her fingertips. Visions of him lurching toward her flashed in her mind. She squeezed her eyes shut. He would have jumped in traffic to get to her, just like he tried to go through fire to get to Evan. She opened her eyes, taking in the fact he was here and she was alive and awake. "My driving really does suck."

Xander chuckled despite himself. "That's my girl. But still, it wasn't your fault."

The doctor came into the room. Xander stayed on the bed with her, gripping her hand while the doctor spoke of the next steps in Lydia's healing process. Pain meds, physio, and rest. Plenty of rest. Lydia wasn't going to fight that particular order. Finally, the doctor smiled up at the two of them. "Once I finish off the paperwork, you'll be good to go, and in six to eight weeks we can remove the cast."

Lydia sighed in relief that there wasn't anything terribly wrong with her save for a broken leg. The doctor offered them one last smile before she left the room.

Lydia glanced to Xander. "I suppose I am really late to that surprise, huh?"

"The surprise can wait," he murmured against her lips as he kissed her. "Lets go home."