Chapter 27

The next day, Lydia thankfully, was able to work at her shop without having to worry about any corporate meetings. She never realized how hard her mother's job was and how hard Kelly worked to fill the role. Although she still had no clue why her mother would leave the company in her name. She found herself excited to tell Kelly about Xander, seeing as she was the one who was rooting for them in the first place, it seemed fitting that her sister was the first to know.

Lydia smiled as she inspected her cupcake she had just decorated as a sunflower. She was half-tempted to eat it, but of course, it needed to be packed and ready by two p.m. along with eleven other cupcakes and a sheet cake for the customer's mother.

The bell to the shop chimed and Lydia tore her gaze from her cupcakes, quickly turning one in efforts to line up perfectly with the rest. Her usual smile she used to greet customers vanished. "Vince, what are you doing here?"

Vince tilted his head to the right, his blond hair falling in place. "A little birdy told me you have been the one refusing to accept my offer for your mother's company, or I suppose it is yours, now."

Lydia placed her hands down on the marble counter. "I told you before, I don't have a say in what happens to the company."

Vince scoffed as if her question was ridiculous. He straightened his navy suit. "Given that I've tried to get into business with your mother on numerous accounts, I thought you'd have the kind courtesy to accept my offers."

Lydia wiped her buttercream-ridden fingers against her apron and waved her hand dismissively. "I don't handle the business as much as you think I do, Vince. Kelly is much more appropriate for that, therefore, she makes the decisions. If she hasn't gotten back to you, I'm sure she has a reason."

Vince took a step closer, Lydia took a step back. He was never violent, but he seldom took well to not getting his way. "I-"

"The sink is fixed, angel," Xander interrupted loudly, his voice growing closer as he came from the back room and into the front. "The pipe was a little loose."

Vince tore his cold gaze from Lydia to Xander, who had realized they had a visitor. Vince scoffed at the two of them. "No wonder you don't handle the business, you're too busy handling him."

Xander came to Lydia's side, his hand resting on her waist. He offered Vince a cruel smile. "Ah, come back for round two. If you're interested in pairing up with Hollis Enterprises, I suppose you managed to claw your way out of your gambling debt, yes?"

Lydia nearly choked on air. The gambling, the debt, was a topic Lydia never dared to tread in their relationship.

Vince clenched his jaw, ignoring Xander, his eyes met Lydia's. "When your sister comes to her senses, and when you come to your senses, let me know, angel."

Vince stormed out of the bakery and Lydia turned to Xander. "Was that whole display from my bodyguard or my-"

"Boyfriend?" Xander grinned. He lifted her hand, kissed knuckles gently, and then shrugged. "Mix of both. But mostly boyfriend."

Lydia cocked her head, pretending to think. "Hmm, I don't recall having a boyfriend."

Xander rolled his eyes. "I'm pretty sure the title is justified."

Lydia continued to pretend to ponder if only to drive him mad. "I don't know... I never heard the magic words."

Xander growled as he pulled her close, his warm brown eyes gazing into her green ones. "Will you, Lydia Hollis-West, the most stubborn woman I have ever met, be my girlfriend?"

"Yes," Lydia giggled, kissing him quickly on the lips before she made her way to the back to wash her hands and start the next order.

Xander followed her, leaning against the door frame, watching her as she got back to work. He held a faint smile as he watched her begin mixing ingredients, singing along to the radio that played music at a low volume. "What are you making?"

Lydia looked up from her scale where she was measuring flour. "A wedding cake. The couple couldn't decide on one flavour so I'm making each tier with a different one. They're not going to last."

Xander scoffed. "You can tell they won't last based on the fact they couldn't decide on a wedding cake flavour?"

"Yep," she replied, continuing with her work. "If they can't compromise on a wedding cake flavour, how do they expect to compromise on the big things?"

"Let's play a game," Xander pushed himself off the frame and stood beside her at the counter. "On the counter of three, we say our ideal wedding cake flavour."

Lydia grinned as they both counted to three and they both said the same answer in unison.

Xander chuckled. "You only said carrot cake because you know it's my favourite."

Lydia rolled her eyes. "Hate to break it to you, pretty boy, but carrot cake is a wedding cake classic."

Xander arched a brow, amused at Lydia's response. "Is it really?"

"Yep, which is especially fitting seeing as most of my clients chose carrot cake for their winter wedding, which is when I want my wedding," Lydia said, her attention on the cake she was baking.

Xander smirked. "You know when you want to have your wedding?"

Lydia wiped the flour dust off her hands and then flicked Xander on the nose. "I'm a baker, who spends most of my time baking cakes for weddings. Of course, I've thought about my wedding."

"Aw," Xander feigned hurt as he clutched his chest dramatically. "Here I thought I was special."