Chapter 6

Xander was in the living room while Lydia paced around her bedroom, talking to Evie on the phone in hushed whispers. “I can’t leave, Evie, he follows me everywhere.”

Evie sighed. “Just sneak out the window. I don’t see why you need a bodyguard anyway. It’s not like you are a high-profile celebrity.”

Lydia felt inclined to agree. She hated having someone following her wherever she went, it wasn’t that she hated Xander, but it was something she wasn’t used to. No matter how many times she and Kelly discussed it, her sister never relented, insistent that it was just a temporary precaution until the enterprise was signed over to her. Apparently, when you are in possession of a multi-million dollar industry, you are bound to have enemies. She ran her hand through her hair. “It’s just drinks at Jaxon’s bar, right?”

“I promise,” Evie swore.
“Since you were the one who convinced Nathan to convince Audrey to leave the house for the first time since having Jules, it seems stupid if you don’t come. Samara will be there too.”

Lydia bit her lip. It had been a while since she had seen Audrey. The last time she had seen her was a month ago when she dropped off some gifts for Jules. They looked exhausted, but Lydia never saw the couple happier than when they were talking about their son. Plus, Nathan called her this afternoon after he had picked up the cake, demanding to know what has been going on in her life, from Xander to the company, all of it. Part of her suspected Audrey relented because Nathan was concerned for Lydia, wanting her to relax just as much as he wanted his wife to.

Although Evie couldn’t see her, Lydia nodded her head. “Alright, I’ll be there in twenty.”

###

When Lydia arrived at Jaxon’s the girls let out a squeal of delight. Audrey rushed over to her, giving her a big hug. “I missed you so much! I’m so sorry I haven’t been in touch more. Nathan told me everything, you know you can stop by whenever you want.”

Lydia pulled back and waved her hand dismissively. “Don’t be! And thank you, I may take you up on that offer if I can shake away the big bad bodyguard.”

The two sat down and Samara shot Audrey a look. “What do you think your boys are up to tonight?”

“Nathan is determined to watch the boxing match. By the time I left, Jules was wearing baby boxing gloves,” Audrey shook her head, although her tone was disapproving, she had a grin on her face. “Lord help me if Jules turns out to be a mini Nathan.”

Evie came to the table with a tray of shots. She set them down with a mischievous smile. “Since it is Audrey’s first-night baby-free, no offence to Jules, I see it fit to drink an absurd amount of alcohol.”

Audrey eyed the shots wearily. “I think I’ll stick to my milkshakes. Somebody has to make sure you guys get home safely.”

Evie shrugged her shoulders. “More for us then.”

Samara and Evie began dividing up the shots evenly among the three of them. When everyone, save for Audrey had their drinks,
Audrey cocked an eyebrow. “Which one of you do you think is going to be the drunkest by the end of the night?”

Both Samara and Evie shot Lydia a pointed stare as if it were an answer alone. Lydia held up her hands. “I may not drink often, but I can handle a few shots.”

The three girls laughed in unison and Lydia, after a moment, joined them. With all the stress of her mother dying, inheriting the enterprise, and gaining a grumpy bodyguard, along with managing her own business, it was nice to relax and spend time with her friends.