Chapter 22

Lydia took a hesitant step out of her room. She didn't wear high-heels often and she felt like Bambi on ice when she did. When she was in the living room fully, Xander turned away from the fireplace, his eyes going wide as they took in her outfit.

Lydia looked down at the stupidly expensive dress and bit her lip. "It feels like too much."

Xander shook his head, not taking his eyes off her. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," she replied shyly. She inspected Xander's outfit, which was a basic black suit with a dark green tie that match her dress. She nodded her head. "Not too shabby, pretty boy."

Xander chuckled at her compliment, nudging his arm out for her to take it. "Are you ready?"

Lydia thought about the amount of people that would be there, the press, the importance of most of those attending. Compared to those invited, she felt so insignificant. She wasn't ready in the slightest, but when she stared into Xander's eyes, she felt assured that tonight wouldn't be too terrible. She smiled, wrapping her arm around his. "Lead the way."

###

When they arrived at the hotel where the gala was taking place, Lydia's stomach twisted in knots. There was so much press, flashes filling the entrance of the hotel. Lydia knew there were going to be some notable people here, but it didn't truly hit her until she saw the amount of people trying to catch a picture of some of the attendees.

Luckily, none of the press knew who she was, so she was able to get through the crowd with ease, none of those who possessed a camera had any inclination to stop and speak to her, which she was incredibly grateful for. When she got inside, Kelly, as gorgeous as ever, immediately was at her side. Her sister looked Lydia over with her piercing blue eyes. "You look amazing."

Lydia smiled. "Not as amazing as you. That dress definitely shows off your legs in the best way possible."

"I know, right?" Kelly stuck out her leg from the slit of her dress and twisted it a bit with a sly smile but quickly lost her gusto when she noticed Xander was the only one accompanying Lydia. "I thought I told you to bring a date! Why did you bring Xavier?"

Lydia, knowing her sister wasn't intentionally being rude, placed a hand on her arm. "Xander is my date."

At first, Kelly looked unamused, clearly not realizing that Xander was truly her date and not a last resort. But then, when she saw Xander's hand resting on the small of Lydia's back, her lips twisted into a smile. "Oh, oh. I see. Okay, well, our table is this way."

Kelly weaved them through the crowd of people. Lydia tried to keep her eyes in her skull when she noticed there were a few people in the entertainment industry, one of which was Mason King, the country singer Evie was now working for, although, Lydia couldn't spot her friend anywhere.

Xander pulled Lydia's chair out and she shot him a grateful smile as he situated himself beside her. Kelly eyed the two as they interacted, seemingly intrigued by their budding relationship. Thankfully, she didn't comment on it.

Lydia took in her surroundings. "Everything here is so beautiful, Kelly. This is amazing."

Kelly blushed at the complement but waved her hand as if it was nothing. "Zach does most of the organizing for events such as this."

Lydia nodded, still impressed nevertheless.

###